Generators - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
WRT transfer switches... I haven't actually put one in yet, but they look pretty simple and easy to install.
I hope you're right. I'm willing to try things, and I'm not stupid, but 9 times out of 10, the first step in a procedure contains a term I have never heard of before, and is not explained in any way, so I stop dead in my tracks.

Then I call my friend Bruce.

Prepping has no room for pride!

12FRETTER

Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Coleman 5000/6500 w. generator that has been dependable. I test it bi-monthly and each time it has started on the first pull. Used it nine straight days after tornado's / strong t-storms. It ran at 50-75% for 24 hours on one tank of fuel (5 gallons). Only problems were like previously stated, getting up, hooking the spider web every where and trying not to trip over wiring. But sure was nice to have hot coffee, refrigerator, freezer, electric lighting and SATELLITE TV... Also, before I turn it off for the next emergency, I close the gas valve cock and let itself starve of fuel.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1223 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
I have a Coleman 5000/6500 w. generator that has been dependable. ...
Also, before I turn it off for the next emergency, I close the gas valve cock and let itself starve of fuel.
Which engine?

I was advised to make sure I had fuel stabilizer running through it and NOT close the valve. The idea was to keep seals wet.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

ATS is worth the money, especially when your gen set has automatic line voltage sensing and an auto start function. Power fluctuation (brown outs) and frequency irregularities are electronic device killers that is why you have surge protection before your computer and big screen TV! A a generator that senses these and starts then transfers automatically can save you big bucks. But, then; we need to discuss in-phase transfer and no break transfer utilizing a battery bank and full sine wave inverter....but that would cost more than the generator itself.

mumbles at self, "What was I thinking"?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1223 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
mumbles at self, "What was I thinking"?
you were thinking damn, if I had a spike all my electronic equipment would have been taken out and the insurance would have bought me all new stuff, but instead it was more fun designing the perfect system

Seriously tho, I actually got hit with a spike, and it took almost a year for all the advanced electronic equipment to fail. Didn't dawn on me until I had replaced most of my stuff that I must have gotten hit... Insurance was a no go, wasn't tied to a specific event, and spread out over too many months, with no identifiable electronic damage.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9077 Times on 5274 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

For the most part a larger 10Kw genny will consume nearly as much fuel if it is running one light bulb as it will if it is running at full load. If you have an unlimited fuel supply no big deal.

The smart folks around here have a dedicated propane tank for the genset. Do not rely on the same tank that feeds the house because you never know where that level will be when the power goes out. If you have a dedicated tank for the genny and always keep it full you know where you stand.