Generator project. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generator project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This guy used an engine, alternator, battery and 400w inverter.

Zombie Squad • View topic - Build your own Emergency Generator

Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgiant215 View Post
This guy used an engine, alternator, battery and 400w inverter.

Zombie Squad • View topic - Build your own Emergency Generator
Very good one! Pretty much what I've done several times. Great article.

Jimmy

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

If you build one like his, go get a deep cycle marine battery, like the one you use for a trolling motor. About 115 Amp hrs, around $67 from Wally World. Regular car batteries are not made to go from full charge to full discharge and back- they will quit real soon if you do that. A 5 hp motor could turn two of those alternators at once, doubling your charge rate- but he did a decent job for a "what junk do I have in the garage?" project- and those can be fun.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #14

The first question I would have would be how big of a fuel tank do you have for this motor? If it is only going to run a hour between filling I would think about rigging up something bigger. The second question I have for you is the 3 phase you mentioned about? If you are planning to use this for your house I would have to say single phase 240 volts ( two hots and a neutral ) would be what you what. The last thing I will bring up is some sort of transfer switch. This could be as simple as unplugging the T.V and olugging it back into the generator or as fance as a automatic transfer switch. Either way you DO NOT want to back feed the line coming in from the power company. Not only would you indanger the lifes of the line crews working in your area but will do damage to the transformer on the pole. We do a lot of work with generators more in the 45k to 65k range but if you have a question I can try to answer it for you.