Generator project.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Generator project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Generator project.

I've got a running 150cc gasoline engine I'm going to try to build into a 120 volt generator.

My three phase theory may be a little rusty but I figure it'll give me something to pass the time working on this winter. We got our first snow a month early so I'm betting on a rough one.

Anyone who has seen or heard about something like this done I'd appreciate a steer-in. diagrams or blueprints or what have you.

Tough part, I think, will be devising a reliable starting system. It has a key start right now but that's got some solid state so I want to convert it to a pull start or similar. EMP proof. Maybe replace the kick start with a crank?

Still thinking out loud at this point but I've got a rough idea for the frame on paper. uses the existing mounting holes.

I do realize I could go buy one but then I wouldn't know how to build one, would I? This way, if anything goes wrong with it, I'll know exactly what I'm dealing with.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
Hi-Standard Duramatic M-101
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9151 Times on 3952 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Well, 150 cc will give you about 10 hp- at full throttle. However, IF that is an air cooled motorcycle engine, it is cooled by moving thru the air- tend to overheat sitting still.

Generator motors are meant to run at a constant speed for long periods- can yours? Next, check the speed you have on output, and speed generator needs to turn. You MAY have to gear up or down.

An automotive generator is not a generator- it is an alternator- and needs electrical power for the electromagnets when it first starts running. A generator has permanent magnets, and can "cold start".

What do you want to generate? 12 v dc for charging batteries, 120 AC to run appliances?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

You could mount a fan blade between the motor and generator to cool both.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Off the shelf generator heads generally come in 2 speeds, 1800rpm and 3600rpm. The 3600 rpm is meant to be used with air cooled engines since that is where they *tend* to want to run (outside of gearing). The 1800rpm ones are generally what you see on the liquid cooled engines that run at a lower rpm.

I know a guy that got into a 40kW head, and hooked up a Dodge 360 with the automatic transmission to get the speed right. Maybe not pretty, but it works.

-Bidah

Old 10-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #5

Default Shooter

Valid points, and exactly the kind of critiques I'm looking for.

Since it's be intended to run indoors, closed off but ventilated to the outdoors, I'm thinking I can use the little 12 volt alternator it already has to power about a dozen cooling fans. If there is one thing I'm not fuzzy on, it's heat sinks so I'm thinking something along the lines of big metal sinks bolted on with fins to dissipate unwanted heat might handle that issue.

Again, this is still in the preliminary, planning stage. It may prove unrealistic, or untenable, but I like a good project and it exercises the brain. Since the motor was free, I won't be out any $$$

If I can't make this work, I'll turn it into a little paddle boat. I've already got a diagram for that. But, maybe not as useful in the mountains.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

“It's too easy sometimes to give in to despair, unless, of course, you’re talking about politics, in which case you don't really have any other option.” Mike Littwin

Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9151 Times on 3952 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Quote:
Since it's be intended to run indoors, closed off but ventilated to the outdoors
I am not going to tell you what a really bad idea that is for several reasons..........

But if anything happens to you- can I have your guns?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #7

Default Not inside the house proper

I HAVE heard of carbon monoxide. But, I should have been more specific.

In any case, it won't be an issue.

Inventory:
AK-74
M1911-A1
CETME .308 Sporter
Sig SP2022
Ruger 10/22
H&R 1874 12 Guage
Mosin Nagant M91/30
K-98 Mauser
Ithaca M-66

Old 10-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #8

So, that's an affirmative on the guns going to C3 in the case of your demise?

LoL.

Seriously, this is an interesting topic. I've always been curious about the logistics of doing this.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthebald View Post
I've got a running 150cc gasoline engine I'm going to try to build into a 120 volt generator.

My three phase theory may be a little rusty but I figure it'll give me something to pass the time working on this winter. We got our first snow a month early so I'm betting on a rough one.

Anyone who has seen or heard about something like this done I'd appreciate a steer-in. diagrams or blueprints or what have you.

Tough part, I think, will be devising a reliable starting system. It has a key start right now but that's got some solid state so I want to convert it to a pull start or similar. EMP proof. Maybe replace the kick start with a crank?

Still thinking out loud at this point but I've got a rough idea for the frame on paper. uses the existing mounting holes.

I do realize I could go buy one but then I wouldn't know how to build one, would I? This way, if anything goes wrong with it, I'll know exactly what I'm dealing with.
1. you have to know what you want to have power for.
2. You are not clear in what equitment you have to work with.
3. Are you using the altenator that comes with this engine? How many amps at 12 volts is it?
4. Are you wanting to use as 120 volt ac or 12 volt dc and charge batteries?

The small altenator on your engine will have minimum watts to run very much. It was designed to charge a small battery, a couple of lights, run the engine. You would come out better having an altenator in the 100 amp range and mount a pulley on the engine and power it with your engine and charge a battery.

Sorry I'm limited to my phone right now. But provide more info, and I can give you a lot more guidance. I have built several homemade gensets thru the years. Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Old 10-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you might find something useful here. Lindsay's Technical Books

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA