General purpose "Survival" knife?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > General purpose "Survival" knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default General purpose "Survival" knife?

Preface 1: I am looking at knives that could be used for a multitude of purposes, from "general" survival to defense. It doesn't necessarily have to be small enough for super intricate work (wittling a fishing spear or whatever), as I would have a multitool for things like that. I'd kinda like something that I could attach to my belt or pack strap that I could carry around hiking and such.

Preface 2: I don't really know the first thing about "combat." I have pretty much no experience with any sort of hand weapons, and I won't pretend to. My "fighting" training is limited to basic boxing and kickboxing.

My EDC is a Gerber 3.5" fixed-blade knife ("Profile," Drop Point). That is pretty much the only knife I have right now really worth anything, the rest are just cheap folders and multitools acquired along the way.

Ive been doing quite a bit of research on both survival knifes and combat knives, and it looks like, for both general survival as well as defensive uses, a blade of around 6-7" is ideal. As most of you surely know, going to big seems to be often more of a burden than a help.

Here are some of the knives I've been looking at:

Bowie Machetes : Cold Steel (Fixed Blade)
While it obviously does not fall into what I just said above (for 12" length), it also has the obvious advantage of reach and greater chopping and slashing ability than the other knives I've been looking at. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it.

Shanghai Shadow : Fighting Knives (Fixed Blade)
This one seems to be well-suited for combat and specifically piercing, though I've read that for novices, the second edge can be more of a danger to the wielder than to the other party. And as a survival knife, the second edge might be pretty much useless for simple cutting tasks, it would lessen the efficiency of tapping the back of the blade to make deep cuts, and it would still likely endanger the user's hands.

Throwing Knives : Cold Steel True Flight Thrower
I don't think Id ever try to throw a knife in self defense, but it seems like a nice blade in general, especially for the money. It is pretty thick at 5mm (a bit over 3/16), and has a pretty nice grip. The only thing I'd worry about is its lack of a hilt, which could result in the accidental sliding of my fingers down the blade (eep!).

Bushman Series : Fixed Blade (Cold Steel Knives)
The Bushman knives seem like a nice general-purpose blade, and there probably really isn't anything wrong with them functionally. I don't know if Id ever try to make a spear out of it unless I had little better to do, but I guess its nice to know the option is there? Their test video is very impressive, though.

G.I. Tanto : Fighting Knives (Fixed Blade)
This just seems like a generally good blade for my purposes. I kinda wish it had a Clip point, but the Tanto would work just fine Im sure.

From other research I found that overall the best hand weapon for a novice would be a simple bludgeon (pipe, bat, etc). After that, I cut a section of 1"-diameter, 1/8" wall steel tubing about 20" long. I wrapped about 5" of it with nylon rope to serve as a handle, and welded a plug into the other end to add a little weight and prevent it from being crushed in on hard impacts. It is about 2lbs total, maybe a couple ounces less. I don't have a sheath for it yet, but I'll likely make one that attaches to my belt and thight. If, for whatver reason, my firearms were not available for use, would I be better off pulling out my pipe (teehee), or would you guys recommend a good ~7" blade with which I've had some practice? Or should I use the pipe, but still get a blade suitable for SD should I ever need it?

Thanks!
Sorry of my post is confusing, but I hope my points were clear enough!

Last edited by Lindenwood; 07-21-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2009, 03:52 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I got this guys.

I have the ultimate "survival" knife given ANY circumstance....

I got this one

And I got this one

But THIS is my Baby

JD

Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What do you think of my other questions?

Last edited by Lindenwood; 07-21-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Nice knives, JD. You have good taste in blades.

The Cold Steel 12" bowie is a pretty good knife -- I have that one. It's inexpensive but well built. The 12" kukri is also good. Cold Steel's Recon Scout is a much better bowie, however.

Folders...stay away from cheap crap. CRKT's Natural and Natural II have served me well. The My Tighe is also a nice EDC. If you don't care for spring-assist, Cold Steel makes some decent folders, too.

Stay away from throwing knives unless you plan to study how to throw properly. Otherwise, you'll just...throw your knife away. They're not as useful when you do that.

No matter what blade(s) you buy for your survival pack or whatever, please also take a moment to get some 0000 steel wool, maybe some metal glo or similar cleaner, and a decent sharpening stone. And for folders, I suggest a dry wax bike chain lube - it doesn't attract dirt or lint like oil does.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you guys have anything as far as all my other questions go? I have only been looking at fixed-blades, and probably won't be buying any folders.

On the throwing knife, as I said in my first post, I don't intend to ever throw it. It just seems like a good knife in general, with the only possible problem being the lack of a hilt making it easier to slide my fingers down the blade when thrusting / stabbing.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

Great mods huh?
Cant even answer questions.

S.S.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Lindenwood, I'm not a knife guy. But, I was able to spend some time around knowledgeable people and around quality knives.

My EDC is a HK/Benchmade Nitrous Stryker Blitz. The knife that's in my BOB is a fixed blade, Benchmade Rant. Neither knife will break the bank.

I've often thought that a Bowie or Kukri would be good to have around a campsite, but I have an axe and hatchets and saws, etc. that will do the job better.

Top thumbnail is the Blitz, The Rant is the top knife in the bottom photo.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 07-21-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've got a Navy issue Mk 3 Mod 0 that I picked up while I was in the Army. It has served as everything from a hammer to a can opener to a machete.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Do you guys have anything as far as all my other questions go? I have only been looking at fixed-blades, and probably won't be buying any folders.

On the throwing knife, as I said in my first post, I don't intend to ever throw it. It just seems like a good knife in general, with the only possible problem being the lack of a hilt making it easier to slide my fingers down the blade when thrusting / stabbing.
Get well-built full-tang knives with decent steel. Look for a Rockwell hardness of between 57 and 62.

Don't get a throwing knife unless you intend to throw it; that's what it's for.

Your two questions that I can discern deal with whether you should use a home-made pipe club or a knife in a defensive situation. All I can suggest is that you use the right tool for the job. Unless you know what you're doing with whatever weapon you have at your disposal, my recommendation is that you beat feet before trying the Steven Seagal crap.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
Great mods huh?
Cant even answer questions.

S.S.
Feel free to chime in anytime.