Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Gear for sleeping in sub-freezing temperature with snow (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/gear-sleeping-sub-freezing-temperature-snow-80285/)

FullautoUSA 01-04-2013 02:47 AM

Gear for sleeping in sub-freezing temperature with snow

How would you guys recommend making a shelter or area to sleep in the snow, what would be good gear to have?

capto56 01-04-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullautoUSA
How would you guys recommend making a shelter or area to sleep in the snow, what would be good gear to have?

I've seen on dual survival, one of them make a shelter just out of snow. Getting out of the wind increases your chance of survival drastically. And he also made a fire, if possible, and the heat reflected off of the shelter and warmed him up even more.

As for gear, a shovel would be most helpful. For building, moving the snow and also for foraging for food and wood buried under the snow.

FullautoUSA 01-04-2013 03:19 AM

I was thinking that possibly digging a foxhole in the snow could work, the snow being cold still worked me a bit, a water proof sheet may work, may try and see if that works this weekend, just going to see if it prevents some cold not going to sleep out there unless I have to I'll tell you MA is cold as hell in winter

c3shooter 01-04-2013 03:34 AM

Sorry, bro- did 2 winters in Fairbanks Alaska with the Army. You have not gotten into the outskirts of hell yet!

Yes, you can use snow as a windbreak, and to limit heat loss. You do not want your body or sleeping gear to be in CONTACT with snow- it melts, you get wet, you get cold.

We would dig a snow cave, ensolite pad under us. Air temp in the cave might be zero, but OUTSIDE the air temp would be -60F. Spend some time reading on military cold weather survival.

FullautoUSA 01-04-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Sorry, bro- did 2 winters in Fairbanks Alaska with the Army. You have not gotten into the outskirts of hell yet!

Yes, you can use snow as a windbreak, and to limit heat loss. You do not want your body or sleeping gear to be in CONTACT with snow- it melts, you get wet, you get cold.

We would dig a snow cave, ensolite pad under us. Air temp in the cave might be zero, but OUTSIDE the air temp would be -60F. Spend some time reading on military cold weather survival.

Well I'm sorry if I'm not hard core enough!;)
I think trash bags may work

capto56 01-04-2013 03:48 AM

I think trash bags are a good idea for a regular bob. I am going to add some when I get home.

Now what kind of trash bags are the best?!

FullautoUSA 01-04-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capto56

Now what kind of trash bags are the best?!

That's a good idea, try town bags, hefty bags and regular ones

capto56 01-04-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullautoUSA

That's a good idea, try town bags, hefty bags and regular ones

Lawn bags? Hmmm

Also take a look at the Mil's. For instance, a standard trash bag can range from 0.5 to 1.1 mil. The thicker ones range from 2.5 to 3 or so. Thicker, sturdier the better. But not necessarily enormous ones.

FullautoUSA 01-04-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capto56

Lawn bags? Hmmm

Also take a look at the Mil's. For instance, a standard trash bag can range from 0.5 to 1.1 mil. The thicker ones range from 2.5 to 3 or so. Thicker, sturdier the better. But not necessarily enormous ones.

Thicker and more surface area to cover your whole body

capto56 01-04-2013 03:58 AM

True.

That reminds me, I have to add some sort of compact blanket to my bag also lol.