Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Gasoline storage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/gasoline-storage-80625/)

fireguy 01-07-2013 08:23 PM

Gasoline storage

For the past couple of years my plan has been to buy a metal fuel tank built for the back of a pick-up truck to use to store gas for my generator.

Unforeseen expenses kept coming up to stop me from buying a tank and pump. Now the cost has jumped up a lot from when I first started checking them. Do any of y'all know of good quality polymer storage tanks that are less expensive than the steel ones they have at Tractor Supply and Orscheln's?

Last time we had an ice storm and we ran the house off of the generator I had to make a 25 mile round trip to refill my gas cans every few days. I would like to be able to stock up when the price is down and I will rotate it in the mower and cars.

orangello 01-07-2013 08:31 PM

Do you know anybody with a coin-operated car wash? They get some nice polymer barrels full of detergent that might be suitable.

fireguy 01-07-2013 08:47 PM

A friend of mine has a car wash right across the street from me. I'll find out what he gets his detergent in. Thanks.

CaseyChadwell 01-08-2013 07:11 PM

How Long will gas keep before it isn't usable anymore?

fireguy 01-08-2013 07:41 PM

If you treat it with a good additive like Pri-G and store in a cool place, it is said that a couple of years are possible. I don't plan on anything like that. I will rotate it out.

rifleman1 01-08-2013 08:02 PM

i dont know what kind of farming goes on around your area but alot of roundup and other herbicides come in 30 gallon drums and most are just cut up and burned or recycled.

hiwall 01-08-2013 10:39 PM

I would rotate at less than 1 year.

purehavoc 01-08-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman1 (Post 1085329)
i dont know what kind of farming goes on around your area but alot of roundup and other herbicides come in 30 gallon drums and most are just cut up and burned or recycled.

They also make 270 gal totes for herbicides , we have a ton of them at work that we repack with herbicides , you can buy used one for about $25-50 and new ones for about $170 . they store fuel just fine ;) I know this for a fact

fireguy 01-09-2013 01:35 PM

I've been looking on craingslist and there are a lot of used truck fuel tanks out there for a lot less money than the tanks I was looking at. Even if they have a little residual diesel in them, it would be a very small percentage, not enough to even matter.

Muliemaster 01-10-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1085473)

They also make 270 gal totes for herbicides , we have a ton of them at work that we repack with herbicides , you can buy used one for about $25-50 and new ones for about $170 . they store fuel just fine ;) I know this for a fact

Time to trad ,ill give you 4 chickens an 2 rabbits for a tote