Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Gas masks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Anyone here know of 40mm filter deals? I've looked on eBay and the result was crap and overpriced. Any ideas?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7663 Times on 4422 Posts
Likes Given: 9880

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovBlood View Post
Viking I'm interested.
You have to empty your PM inbox.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It's emptied.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2133 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

Cheaper than Dirt has some Israeli gas masks and you can get NATO conversions and canisters for them. Real reasonable! The canisters are in the front so they do not interfere with your cheek weld. Not bad for the buck!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #25

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
My new toy..thanks Viking.
Now you have the toy, what kind of filters are you planning on using? The filters are different for different needs. A Radiological filter will do no good for a Gas type of attack. So you will need the filters for the perceived threat.

Check the seal around the perimeter of the mask to make sure it is soft and intact with no cracks. Also you will have to shave almost all facial hair off to get a good seal. To check the seal fitment, take the canister filters off and put the mask on and block the opening for the filter, then suck in a deep breath. If your eyes feel like they are about to pop out then the seal is good, if not .....well lets just say not so good.

Not trying to bust your bubble here just trying to make sure that you don't think one filter will be a cure all. Food for thought, supplies to seal off the inside of your home to protect your family. Duct tape, plastic sheeting, door and window covers, lock bars for doors. Wearing a respirator far any length of time is a real pain in the rear.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Believe it or not I get a good seal with this mask even with my full beard. It's mainly for a wall hanger and if needed an improvement over pissing on my shirt and tying it around my head. Lol
He gave me a new filter with it although I have no idea what it says.

forumrunner_20120605_104032.jpg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Out of curiosity, anyone else get shot down when they tried to have sex with the wife with a gasmask on?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Well, if you quit eating beans, she would not be wearing the gas mask......

Note on filters- the various militaries of the world use a PROTECTIVE Mask- not a Gas Mask. The filters are intended to filter out- solid particles, such as radioactive dust, spores, etc. That is the N and B part of the designation- Nuclear and Biological. The C part- Chemical- depends on the chemical. They are basically an absorbent type filter- combination of charcoal and some chemicals. They will work for chlorine, riot control gasses, mustard, phosgene, nerve agents, choking agents, etc. They will not stop EVERY chemical (ammonia goes right thru everything except an ammonia rated filter) and they DO NOT MAKE OXYGEN- wearing one into an O2 depleted atmosphere is death.

Some military forces also use a Riot Control Agent Mask. Less costly, lighter, easier to breathe through- works for tear gas, but not Nerve Agent, Chlorine, etc.

Filters have a life span- once opened, they begin to lose effectiveness. Beware of British gas masks from back in WW2. They used asbestos in the filters.

And yes, I have respirators, protective masks, and even have a couple of Level A Full Body suits. I teach the OSHA 40 hr HAZWOPER course now and again- and the suits come in handy for Halloween.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah I figured I might slap it on for Halloween. Lol. You recognize the type of filter I have by any chance?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Israeli, obviously. Instructions to remove plug before use. Generic military NBC protective mask.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.