Full evac in New O and surrounding parishes

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Full evac in New O and surrounding parishes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Full evac in New O and surrounding parishes

In case you folks have not been watching, Gustav is steaming right at New Orleans--almost 3 years to the day Katrina hit. Gustav is now looking to be a CAT 5 hurricane by tommorrow am, and there are rumors that this might end up being the storm of the century. (I am involved with CERT, SART and k9 SAR teams, so have been watching this storm closely).

Also, concern is growing that Hanna will likely hit the east coast somewhere--and its not known yet at what strength. Its entirely possible that we may have two major hurricanes strike the US within a week of each other. For you folks on the east coast, I would suggest you monitor NOAA and CNN for the next week.....

please see the story on the full evacuation: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/08/30/gustav.prepare/index.html

Some of you may recall that during Katrina--law abiding citizens had their firearms seized, and gangs of thugs were assaulting citizens.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2008, 05:27 AM   #2

I am currently residing in New Orleans I left Friday Night Late to avoid Traffic. I was in a gun shop on the West Bank Friday afternoon and people where stocking up for the looters. There were two kinds of people. The ones evacuating and the ones who said I survived Katrina I can survive anything and are arming themselves and riding this storm out. I know the property manger of my building is staying through it and monitoring our properties so they don't get ransacked. My prayers go out to the ones staying. I think this storm if Gustav doesn't shift it will make Katrina look like a joke.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #3

wishing good luck to you and all those in the danger zone. The sad thing is that even though this is a disaster, there will always be a criminal waiting to exploit the situation, whether through looting or some other way. And this is an obvious case where its unlikely that police will be near to help you.

Not to mention, during a mass disaster, frequently people resort to acting in a primal manner in general.

This storm is no joke, and this time it seems that people are listening. However, wherever this storm comes ashore, it will cause enormous damage, and I think we can expect at least some deaths.