You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Fukushima reactor No. 4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 165 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
This story is all over the blogosphere, but I can't find any original source. Smells like a hoax, looks like a hoax, quacks like a hoax.

Thus...
I worked for 20 years building Nuclear equipment for power plants all over the world and have never seen a spent fuel pond 100' above the ground. I am almost 100% certain that no reactor has 1500+ fuel rods in it. I have seen several hundred spent rods stored in a spent fuel pond but they were placed with drivers and blanket rods spacing everything out to keep them cool. With the exception of research reactors that use very small rods with limited radiation potential.

All of the US power plants must keep a vast volume of water to do a forced cool down in the event of a overheating issue.

As for the Cesium-137, your body gets it from deer meat, not even close to this volume but it is there, so 85 times the Cesium is not likely to be that big of a factor here in the US. In other parts of the article it stated 10 times the Cesium so that leads to the BS factor.

The spent fuel pond walls are several feet thick and lined with stainless steel, if they are open air pools with no water in them then the rods will heat up to dangerous levels but the streaming radiation will go straight up from the pool what we have to worry about is contamination for now.

All spent fuel ponds are open top ponds filled with water to slow the radiation down and act as shielding as well as keeping the fuel cool, depending on the placement of the rods to the mating rods to complete the irradiation process the heating is more than likely not an issue at all.

"The release of this amount of Cesium-137 would “destroy the world environment and our civilization. This is an issue of human survival.” (http://akiomatsumura.com/2012/04/682.html)" This would have to happen as a chain reaction with every fuel rod on site at the same time within minutes, and it did not happen at Chernobyl to any degree depicted in this article.

The IAEA is the world Nuclear police and are investigating this incident and have been overlooking each of the reactors in Japan since they were built. There are a maze of safety factors to everything that goes into a Nuke site regardless if it comes into contact with radiation or not. Let alone if it is Safety rated, the factor goes up by 150%.

Do not put too much faith into this article as just too much does not make sense, too much crying wolf for me. Do we need to be concerned about what happened YES we do, panic no.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #22

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

^^^^^Well said^^^^^

A professional welder I know that us now retired told me he has worked in many nuc plants and he says as far as he'c concerned they are far safer than the plants that produce chemicals, such as the ag industry uses.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4340 Times on 2792 Posts

I had my doubts, I'm glad somebody chimed in that has some facts.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1671 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross View Post
Do we need to be concerned about what happened YES we do, panic no.
Thanks for the input. Sounds good to me!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #25

Liked 165 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I guess my point was politicians, elected leaders, and higher ups aren't going to drink irradiated milk on their wheaties and go about their day like nothing is wrong, are they? Just sit back and watch babies being born with glowing green eyes? I believe there is something going on at the power plant, but I can't believe NOTHING is being done about it. Maybe I have too much faith in our elected leaders.
The Nuclear Engineers working on a fix for this problem are loosing a lot of sleep right now. This type of problem is a one of a kind solution, it has to be thought out and approved by several different agencies. Then it goes into manufacturing which will take from several months to years to complete.

I am sure that they are trying to find a way to get as much of the fuel out of the reactors and off site and then dealing with the contamination issues.

We built dry storage silos and they took several months to build and ship to the site, then several more months to get placed on site and filled with fuel and sealed off.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #26

Liked 3946 Times on 1769 Posts
Likes Given: 3569

" And the Chernobyl catastrophe made its surrounding regions uninhabitable by humans for centuries"

That part right there isn't true. They are giving tours of Chernobyl. The wild life around Chernobyl is flourishing. There are a couple hot spots that they don't allow access to. I've been living a short drive from Chernobyl for the last two years.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #27

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
" And the Chernobyl catastrophe made its surrounding regions uninhabitable by humans for centuries"

That part right there isn't true. They are giving tours of Chernobyl. The wild life around Chernobyl is flourishing. There are a couple hot spots that they don't allow access to. I've been living a short drive from Chernobyl for the last two years.
Someone's just all worked up about the new "Chernobyl Diaries" movie that's coming out ::rollseyes::

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a hard time believing much at all, other than the worst. From the get-go the utility company lied about how bad things were. Did they lie intentionally? Did they know or not know how bad things were, and tell a lie because they did not know?

If the radiation was/is as bad as it's feared, how can they know?

That's the $64,000 question. What do they REALLY know?

Jimmy

Hope for better, prepared for worst...