free slingshot - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > free slingshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I saw a bunch of .30 caliber balls next to the sling shots at my local sporting goods store. They really seemed quite small. Wouldn't .50 caliber balls be better? The kind that are used for black powder muskets?

I am also planning on having a slingshot for my gear. You can always make more balls or use rocks if you've gone through all the rocks. If SHTF 3 years ago, and all your ammo is through, you gotta have something. A slingshot would help you save some ammo for bigger game.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
I want to go squirrel hunting with mine this year.
You might want to check ODNR for legality of using a slingshot to hunt anything.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I have one for the same reason and yes it will kill or at least stun a squirrel. I hunt the tree rats with passion (It's a term of endearment) and have tried the sling shot. I had one fall on impact and another I had to put down after it was stunned and fell from the tree. It's nice no viscera damage. The only thing is it takes practice like everything else so if your going to carry it for bug out purposes make sure you've spent quite some time with it.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
You might want to check ODNR for legality of using a slingshot to hunt anything.
I hoe its legal because everyone does it! O_o

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Somewhere is my old "Wrist Rocket" sling shot. Try lead .36 or .44 caliber balls such as you would use to reload a Colt 1851 or 1860. When I was a kid I could hit a 4 ft. tall metal sign with it at 300 yards. It made an impressive clang and you could see the little ball silhouetted against the sky while it was in flight. While it would go through thin plywood at more practical closer ranges, I never got more than 1/4 inch penetration in solid pine 2x4 boards with it. While the US Army tests back in the Civil War period showed that any penetration less than 1" in pine was 'probably' not generally lethal to humans, I would really, really, hate to have something hitting like that bouncing off my skull. That would probably be the exception to the 'probably' or else so close to it that I would never know the difference.

BTW, given enough power in the straps, there is nothing 'silent' about them. I used surgical tubing and while it was a different kind of sound, it seemed to me to be almost as loud as a .22 short or a shot from a CO2 pellet rifle.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I have made the old david type and boy they can throw a rock. The newer ones sure you can kill a squirrel with one.

I would not want to be around this old boy and his sling shot.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-23-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 AM   #17

Can you still buy wrist rockets? I've killed quail, jack wabbits and wee little cotton tails. Have tagged a black bear in the arse using one loaded with M&M peanuts, guess he thought he was stung by a yeller jacket because he took of right quick like.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My buddy George had a lab he wanted to train to fetch birds. So we tried to kick up spruce grouse and shotgun them before the landed in trees, not easy. After two not-so-successful attempts, I brought my wrist rocket to chase them from the trees so George could then shotgun them and let the dog fetch them. Only problem was that after a couple outings I started to kill them with the slingshot. "Not the effect we're striving for" was the way George put it. I was using 00 shot, got a 25# bag for damn little a few years ago, still have a couple pounds left. Now Boondocks doesn't carry it anymore.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am still finding Wrist Rockets on Ebay today for about $13.

I prefer .36 or .44 caliber lead balls myself, but 00 buckshot is just as good I guess..

Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #20

Default Slingshot

I have a slingshot in my BOB.. I think now they are called a Wrist Rocket.. They are quite and effective at close range. Squirles, birds, rabbits.