Is a frame crucial? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Is a frame crucial?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
Yeah, the only thing I am a little iffy about is the USMC logo on it... I don't want to be wearing something that has a logo on it that I never earned....
Hmm. Valid point. It looked like the logo was just on a silk tag somewhere you could snip it off, though.
__________________
"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields
TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrm14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 2,514
Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
M14sRock says they're manufactured by arc-teryx. I checked out the Arc-teryx website, and it looks like they're a quality outfit. I'm liking the looks of this pack myself, C.
It kind of looks like a variant of the Bora 80 they offer in their civilian line. I'm not really sure though.

If so, this pack gets very high reviews in outdoor and backpacking forums.
mrm14 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,541
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
It kind of looks like a variant of the Bora 80 they offer in their civilian line. I'm not really sure though.

If so, this pack gets very high reviews in outdoor and backpacking forums.
I think it was derived from the Bora 80, now that you mention it. Arc Teryx has a lifetime guarantee, like many of the top end pack makers.

If it fits your body type, this pack is a great all around backpacking pack (is that redundant?)

4500ci is small for extended trips (5 days+), but fir the avg 2-4 day is perfect. If you are OK with the "travel light, freeze at night" philosophy this can carry over a week's worth of gear. And lashing extra stuff on it is easy, extending the range.

Great pack.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 AM   #54
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Angry_bald_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Perryville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,704
Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I think it was derived from the Bora 80, now that you mention it. Arc Teryx has a lifetime guarantee, like many of the top end pack makers.

If it fits your body type, this pack is a great all around backpacking pack (is that redundant?)

4500ci is small for extended trips (5 days+), but fir the avg 2-4 day is perfect. If you are OK with the "travel light, freeze at night" philosophy this can carry over a week's worth of gear. And lashing extra stuff on it is easy, extending the range.

Great pack.
In a SHTF situation though, with a gun on it, a sleeping bag, a tent, and some form of fire starting, you should be fine, provided you have a way to purify water as well.
__________________
Darrel

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.
Angry_bald_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,541
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
In a SHTF situation though, with a gun on it, a sleeping bag, a tent, and some form of fire starting, you should be fine, provided you have a way to purify water as well.
Absolutely.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrm14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 2,514
Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
In a SHTF situation though, with a gun on it, a sleeping bag, a tent, and some form of fire starting, you should be fine, provided you have a way to purify water as well.
Speaking of purifying water, heres what I use.

MSR® MiniWorks™ EX Microfilter.

Along with some iodine tablets and your water will be virus free.
mrm14 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,541
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Speaking of purifying water, heres what I use.

MSR® MiniWorks™ EX Microfilter.

Along with some iodine tablets and your water will be virus free.
Great minds, bruddah.....

I have the same one. I also use the Sweetwater. MSR SweetWater Water Purifier System at REI.com A few years ago I started trimming my gear down in weight as much as possible, and it was 3 ounces lighter than the Mini Works. Works great, and folds up small. Not as durable as its big bro, but I'm not abusive.

A good tip about water filters is to carry a couple of coffee filters in your pack. Wrap one around the intake hose on the water filter and use a rubber band to keep it in place. A coffee filter will remove almost all impurities before they can clog the main filter. Allows several times the amount of water to be filtered.

And a filter is NOT a purifier, and does not remove viruses. That is what the iodine is for.

Nasty water gets treated with the Polar Pure crystals and allowed to sit per the instructions. Then I filter it which gets some of the iodine taste out of the water. Or it gets boiled, then filtered, if time and conditions allow.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrm14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 2,514
Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Great minds, bruddah.....

I have the same one. I also use the Sweetwater. MSR SweetWater Water Purifier System at REI.com A few years ago I started trimming my gear down in weight as much as possible, and it was 3 ounces lighter than the Mini Works. Works great, and folds up small. Not as durable as its big bro, but I'm not abusive.

A good tip about water filters is to carry a couple of coffee filters in your pack. Wrap one around the intake hose on the water filter and use a rubber band to keep it in place. A coffee filter will remove almost all impurities before they can clog the main filter. Allows several times the amount of water to be filtered.

And a filter is NOT a purifier, and does not remove viruses. That is what the iodine is for.

Nasty water gets treated with the Polar Pure crystals and allowed to sit per the instructions. Then I filter it which gets some of the iodine taste out of the water. Or it gets boiled, then filtered, if time and conditions allow.
Heres what I do alot of times. I get the water into one of these

Sea To Summit Folding Bucket - 10 Liters at REI.com

Let it sit for awhile to let sediments settle to bottom, add the iodine tablet, let it do it's thing, then neutralize with the other tab that comes in the kit with the iodine tabs, then run the water through the filter device.

I also keep a spare ceramic replacement filter and a few spare O-Rings with it.
mrm14 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrm14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 2,514
Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

I also use one of these

REI Nalgene Everyday Wide-Mouth Loop-Top Water Bottle - 32 fl. oz. at REI.com

Which threads to the MSR filter, and collects the purified water. Kind'a cool.

msr-water-filter-bottle.jpg
mrm14 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #60
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Angry_bald_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Perryville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,704
Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/nano-tea-bag-purifies-water-30435/

I want to get a bunch of these when they come out...
__________________
Darrel

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.
Angry_bald_guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Frame Rails, What? SHAMUSPI 1911 Forum 2 04-06-2010 11:36 PM
S&W frame confusion Blue2Green316 General Handgun Discussion 9 03-04-2010 05:42 PM
CCF Frame mbpike Semi-Auto Handguns 2 07-18-2009 02:39 PM
P22 frame epicenter411 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 16 05-14-2009 04:05 AM
J-Frame 442 UncleBuck Revolver Handguns 1 08-14-2007 09:09 PM



Newest Threads