Is a frame crucial? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Is a frame crucial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
Yeah, the only thing I am a little iffy about is the USMC logo on it... I don't want to be wearing something that has a logo on it that I never earned....
Hmm. Valid point. It looked like the logo was just on a silk tag somewhere you could snip it off, though.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 PM   #52

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
M14sRock says they're manufactured by arc-teryx. I checked out the Arc-teryx website, and it looks like they're a quality outfit. I'm liking the looks of this pack myself, C.
It kind of looks like a variant of the Bora 80 they offer in their civilian line. I'm not really sure though.

If so, this pack gets very high reviews in outdoor and backpacking forums.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #53

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
It kind of looks like a variant of the Bora 80 they offer in their civilian line. I'm not really sure though.

If so, this pack gets very high reviews in outdoor and backpacking forums.
I think it was derived from the Bora 80, now that you mention it. Arc Teryx has a lifetime guarantee, like many of the top end pack makers.

If it fits your body type, this pack is a great all around backpacking pack (is that redundant?)

4500ci is small for extended trips (5 days+), but fir the avg 2-4 day is perfect. If you are OK with the "travel light, freeze at night" philosophy this can carry over a week's worth of gear. And lashing extra stuff on it is easy, extending the range.

Great pack.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 AM   #54
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I think it was derived from the Bora 80, now that you mention it. Arc Teryx has a lifetime guarantee, like many of the top end pack makers.

If it fits your body type, this pack is a great all around backpacking pack (is that redundant?)

4500ci is small for extended trips (5 days+), but fir the avg 2-4 day is perfect. If you are OK with the "travel light, freeze at night" philosophy this can carry over a week's worth of gear. And lashing extra stuff on it is easy, extending the range.

Great pack.
In a SHTF situation though, with a gun on it, a sleeping bag, a tent, and some form of fire starting, you should be fine, provided you have a way to purify water as well.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #55

Quote:
In a SHTF situation though, with a gun on it, a sleeping bag, a tent, and some form of fire starting, you should be fine, provided you have a way to purify water as well.
Absolutely.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #56

Quote:
Speaking of purifying water, heres what I use.

MSR® MiniWorks™ EX Microfilter.

Along with some iodine tablets and your water will be virus free.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Speaking of purifying water, heres what I use.

MSR® MiniWorks™ EX Microfilter.

Along with some iodine tablets and your water will be virus free.
Great minds, bruddah.....

I have the same one. I also use the Sweetwater. MSR SweetWater Water Purifier System at REI.com A few years ago I started trimming my gear down in weight as much as possible, and it was 3 ounces lighter than the Mini Works. Works great, and folds up small. Not as durable as its big bro, but I'm not abusive.

A good tip about water filters is to carry a couple of coffee filters in your pack. Wrap one around the intake hose on the water filter and use a rubber band to keep it in place. A coffee filter will remove almost all impurities before they can clog the main filter. Allows several times the amount of water to be filtered.

And a filter is NOT a purifier, and does not remove viruses. That is what the iodine is for.

Nasty water gets treated with the Polar Pure crystals and allowed to sit per the instructions. Then I filter it which gets some of the iodine taste out of the water. Or it gets boiled, then filtered, if time and conditions allow.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Great minds, bruddah.....

I have the same one. I also use the Sweetwater. MSR SweetWater Water Purifier System at REI.com A few years ago I started trimming my gear down in weight as much as possible, and it was 3 ounces lighter than the Mini Works. Works great, and folds up small. Not as durable as its big bro, but I'm not abusive.

A good tip about water filters is to carry a couple of coffee filters in your pack. Wrap one around the intake hose on the water filter and use a rubber band to keep it in place. A coffee filter will remove almost all impurities before they can clog the main filter. Allows several times the amount of water to be filtered.

And a filter is NOT a purifier, and does not remove viruses. That is what the iodine is for.

Nasty water gets treated with the Polar Pure crystals and allowed to sit per the instructions. Then I filter it which gets some of the iodine taste out of the water. Or it gets boiled, then filtered, if time and conditions allow.
Heres what I do alot of times. I get the water into one of these

Sea To Summit Folding Bucket - 10 Liters at REI.com

Let it sit for awhile to let sediments settle to bottom, add the iodine tablet, let it do it's thing, then neutralize with the other tab that comes in the kit with the iodine tabs, then run the water through the filter device.

I also keep a spare ceramic replacement filter and a few spare O-Rings with it.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #59

I also use one of these

REI Nalgene Everyday Wide-Mouth Loop-Top Water Bottle - 32 fl. oz. at REI.com

Which threads to the MSR filter, and collects the purified water. Kind'a cool.

msr-water-filter-bottle.jpg

Old 08-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #60
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/nano-tea-bag-purifies-water-30435/

I want to get a bunch of these when they come out...

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.