Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Is a frame crucial?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 274 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
I'll call SG on monday and ask if this one has an internal frame, but I've looked at the same pack on several sites and none of them mentioned a frame, so I'm thinking it doesn't. Guess I'll have to suck it up and shell out the dough fer one o them classy packs .
Your pack looks top notch, mrm14, but it's a wee bit out of my price range *shrug*. C'est la vie.
Daggle, do you have an REI membership? If you dont; get one. I don't know what price you saw on the interwebz for this pack, but I got mine for just a few dollars over $200.00. REI has screaming deal sales on most all goods in store every quarter. All goods with screamng deal prices arn't always advertised in their web site.

If your giong to go on 3 to 5 day backpack hiking trips your giong to want/need light weight comfortable durable gear. The lighter the gear gets the more the costs go up. It's just a fact of life and theres no short cuts if you want comfort and duraiblility/reliability of gear. Comfort in my book is critical. You need to research and plan for every ounce of gear you purchase to keep the weight you pack as low as possible for these type of extended trips.

Do like I did and purchase gear a bit at a time over several months and get the good stuff.

A cheap arse tacticool uncomfortable backpack may be good for your shooting gear and snacks when you go shooting but won't be worth a damn on any extended trips of several days or more.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #22

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 42

A pack is an individual fit item. What works for one, won't work for another. Internal frame packs today are outstanding and external frames are all but extinct.

If you have access to an REI, Sport Chalet or Adventure16 (or local specialty backpacking store) they can measure your body and adjust some sample packs to fit. Then you can figure out which brand fits you best (like shoes) and try their styles.

REI has an online discount site (REIOutlet.com) that has killer deals.

But first, go to a store that has the device to measure your torso and dimensions. It will really help.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 AM   #23
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 263 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 36

What are your opinions on the ALICE and MOLLE standard issue military packs?

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
What are your opinions on the ALICE and MOLLE standard issue military packs?
Gregory developed the original CFP90. Then, when MOLLE was standardized the design was adopted and sub-contracted out. I have one made by Arc-Teryx.

I like the modularity of the MOLLE packs. Strip off the accessory pouches for short trips (1-3 days), or add pouches as needed for more storage.

Most of the military surplus packs have the shoulder strap tensioners still sewn in place. Those are actually designed to have the threads cut to allow better fit of the straps. I can dig it out and click some pics if my description does not make sense.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #25
Resident JackHole

Please do, I'm looking in that direction. I can get an ALICE pack for 40 bucks shipped, or I can do some more looking for a MOLLE.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Old 08-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #26

Liked 274 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Screw these cheap camo scheme backpacks. What is needed is a softback pack that vents well toward your skin, fits well to your body size and shape, is water and mositure resistant, light in weight, can take real back country abuse, and enough volume of space to haul all the gear you need and at least some you want.

Also, think of this scenero. Some of the treks you may take will be for many days in to the wilderness. These trips usually require that you check in with your local ranger station and provide an itinerary of approxamently where you will be and about when you will be there and when you will be out. This is for a good reason. That reason being that if you dont show up when you are supposed to at the end of your trek they can come and look for your arse.

I myself would not want to have any camo scheme gear on my arse if the situation occured that I didn't show up when I was supposed to and they came looking for me. I would want to be seen as much as possible. Especially if I were laying all busted up at the bottom of some cliff and near death.

Well theres my 2 cents worth when it comes to camo scheme gear and the remote areas of the wilderness.

Last edited by mrm14; 08-16-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Screw these cheap camo scheme backpacks. What is needed is a softback pack that vents well toward your skin, fits well to your body size and shape, is water and mositure resistant, light in weight, can take real back country abuse, and enough volume of space to haul all the gear you need and at least some you want.

Also, think of this scenero. Some of the treks you may take will be for many days in to the wilderness. These trips usually require that you check in with your local ranger station and provide an itinerary of approxamently where you will be and about when you will be there and when you will be out. This is for a good reason. That reason being that if you dont show up when you are supposed to at the end of your trek they can come and look for your arse.

I myself would not want to have any camo scheme gear on my arse if the situation occured that I didn't show up when I was supposed to and they came looking for me. I would want to be seen as much as possible. Especially if I were laying all busted up at the bottom of some cliff and near death.

Well theres my 2 cents worth when it comes to camo scheme gear and the remote areas of the wilderness.
Absolute truth here. But I think some of the questions have to do with planning to disappear into the woods when the time comes.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
Please do, I'm looking in that direction. I can get an ALICE pack for 40 bucks shipped, or I can do some more looking for a MOLLE.
A medium Alice pack will carry 20lbs, unless you are still a strapping 19 Y.O. snake eater. Me neither. Ha.

Large Alice is a bit ungainly.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 08-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #29
Resident JackHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post

I don't hike for fun. This is a survival pack that allows me to stay mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Absolute truth here. But I think some of the questions have to do with planning to disappear into the woods when the time comes.
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
A medium Alice pack will carry 20lbs, unless you are still a strapping 19 Y.O. snake eater. Me neither. Ha.

Large Alice is a bit ungainly.
I'm 22, will be 23 in October. I shouldn't have a problem with a fully loaded Alice, but I'm still thinking comfort here. Would a MOLLE be better? I know the Alice can pack 70lbs fully loaded...

Μολὼν λαβέ

Old 08-16-2010, 05:31 AM   #30

OK, if you are 22 buy a good pack. It will last a lifetime, and get more comfy as you use it.

Look around for a shop selling Gregory and Arc Teryx. They are the prime contractors for the USGI packs.

Get your size figured out (mostly torso length) and check out the size that you need. They have some adjustment, but expect a medium pack to fit you if you are a large. You can use it, but won't know how bad it fits til you try the large.

The pack above is an Arc Teryx. It was $100 from a guy I have bought surplus from since I was 10. It is not my regular backpacking pack, but it is my size and helps me keep a low profile. My regular Gregory Expedition pack is red and black.

If you look at the pics above you can see some cut stitching. Cutting those free allows for a longer strap length. Hard to explain here.

There are a few sites selling the surplus packs. I'll look for one, but no guarantees I can get back to you right away.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI