Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fortifying the home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My basement windows just took a crap on me. I will be replacing them with treated lumber permanently. They will be painted to match my homes exterior. I will cut 3/4" ply to fit the inner sills.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Make sure you seal around them so water doesn't creep in when it rains and rot the sill of you home.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Working on a weather stripping solution. Thanks for the concern. Any suggestions other than that foam with adhesive backing?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #24

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKooEKoo View Post
Working on a weather stripping solution. Thanks for the concern. Any suggestions other than that foam with adhesive backing?
a polyurethane caulking or phenoseal would work well

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yes exactly what dog said. Some kink of Poly based caulking or even silicone if they are constantly damp like behind bushes ect. And you might want to consider an oil based paint it they are going to be in a damp enviorment. Constant moisture will seperate the glued layers in plywood over time. And be sure to paint both sides and the edges to properly seal em.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #26
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1033 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I know a lot of you on here are or are working on being prepared with water, food, munitions ect ect.

What have you done to fortify the home for bugging in. I have been thinking about gettign some 3/4 ply when I see it on sale for lower level windows ect. Now I know its not going to stop rounds from coming in but it will block line of sight and they wont be able to kick the glass out and climb in.

What do you think would be best after I cut it to size for each window. I was thinking 3" deck screws, but if the power is out and my cordless is dead how an I gonna drive 100 3" screws by hand Looks like good ole hammer and nails

I don't rally want to drill my window cases for a possible problem that may never arise, but I dont want to be caught with my pants down either.

What else have you done or what else are some good things to think about and plan for to fortify the castle.
ktm, if you have an 18 volt cordless drill and a car battery, you are not SOL. I have and old 18 volt drill that I keep in my truck that has not had a battery pack for the last 10 years, and it still gets use. Take a lighter plug kit and whatever length of wire you think you will need. Solder the negative cable to the negative terminal in the drill, repeat with the positive. Get an adapter that has the receptical plug on one end and battery clamps on the other end. plug the two together and hook up to a car battery, or plug it into the lighter plug\ power port in your car. It won't spin as fast, but it will still spin. I use mine when doing onsite car stereo installs and other drill and driver duties when out of reach of power sources (or when I forget the extension cords!). I like the other members' sugestions on this as well, especially the means of securing the plywood from the inside. Great ideas guys!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

On the list Things They Don't Teach You In Infantry School you will find:
"Make it too hard for the enemy to get in, and it will be too hard for you to get out."

Unless, of course, part of your plan is to die in your house.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #28

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

If you have city sewer in your home and the electric goes down then you could very well end up with city sewer IN your home. Unless you live on a hill.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
If you have city sewer in your home and the electric goes down then you could very well end up with city sewer IN your home. Unless you live on a hill.
That is a very important thing to consider if someone plans to bug in. I have septic and a well so all I need to worry about is gen for fresh water if/ when my supply runs out.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a locksmith friend who says replacing 1 screw from each hinge and deadbolt with a 3 inch wood screw has made the cops have a difficult time knocking the door down....easy thing to do quickly. It's definitely not of the caliber of some ideas here, but might fortify against a more common threat.