Fortifying the home - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fortifying the home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1513 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 3282

I think home fortification is something that has to be really thought out for each individual home, at least in terms of SHTF. I also think that people are still people no matter what. So they will probably take the path of least resistance every time. A strategically placed fence here and a thick row of hedges there and before you know it you have a really nice shooting lane that could disperse (or eliminate) a crowd in seconds.

At the end of the day though if someone really wants to take your home they could. There is some merit to what Patton said, but you can still make it so that they'll at least have to put a little thought into it. Crowds generally don't think they just react.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9567 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Basic military axiom- obstacles MUST be covered by direct fire, or they can be removed.

There is a long road leading into our place. If you live in a wooded area, and want to close a road, look up the term abatis.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #13

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Like my dear old Dad used to say to me: don't be a fascine you gabion!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Interesting topic.

bkt has indicated sandbags as he has flooding issues from time to time. That makes sense for his location. Now sand bags aren't going to keep someone determined to get in, out of his property, but it could slow them down.

Baring the windows with plywood, especially from the inside where you brace them against the studs in the walls with cross braces as dog2000tj has indicated is smart. You still loose all your glass to whatever natural disaster or man made eff-up that is coming, but at least you retain SOME control over the plywood cover. If you nail it to the outside, you can hook a couple of corners with mule tape, hook the other end to the back of a 4x4 and rip it right off.

At least with the plywood inside and mounted to 2x4 cross members that are anchored to wall studs, you remain some control.

Now my place has an oversized generator plumbed to the natural gas line, so it's running as long as the automated gas delivery system is working. That means I have power for lights, lots of them, including portable ones that can be turned on, off, aimed and turned back on to blind would be assailants.

We have the benefit of two German Sheppards that seem to treat this house and our yard as their personal castle. Even the mail and UPS folks have stopped ringing the doorbell and just place deliveries at the entrance to the walkway in/next to/behind the potted plant.

180,000 scent receptors will go a long ways towards telling you about trouble before you know it's there. Factor in the super sensitive hearing and you have an excellent early warning system.

I think you need to evaluate what you have, and what you would do if you wanted to get into the area you are living. How would you approach it? What would you do first in recon, or in trying to infiltrate?

Work backwards from there on your defenses. Use what you see as a weakness in an approach and make it a strength on defense.

One of the coolest things I have seen first hand was at a house of a normal "back up" band musician's home here in the Seattle area. Guy was a jazz musician with some skill, but worked pretty much as a fill in band back up. Made decent money, but was cool and had a service call on the cable at his house that I was lucky enough to catch.

I show up and the guy has an EPIC Koi fish pond between the unattached garage and the entrance to the house. Like three bridges, but only one was straight from the parking area to the front door, the other two circled the pond like a peace symbol.

I'm walking up to the front door, on the straight, obvious pass and about two steps in there were 3 boards that were linked together and when you stepped on them, they completed a circuit and the pond light up, the doorbell went off and then about 5 flood lights kicked on. It caught me COMPLETELY off guard... LOL

It was a great set up, super easy to replicate, and totally effective if you aren't expecting it.

I think creative home defense is only limited by your own imagination.

JD

Old 06-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #15

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I'm walking up to the front door, on the straight, obvious pass and about two steps in there were 3 boards that were linked together and when you stepped on them, they completed a circuit and the pond light up, the doorbell went off and then about 5 flood lights kicked on. It caught me COMPLETELY off guard... LOL

It was a great set up, super easy to replicate, and totally effective if you aren't expecting it.
LOL, I wonder if that guy has surveillance video of the event ... that would be priceless!!! I'm a big fan of the motion activated lights/flashers/strobes/horns. Even if criminals are expecting them they can be set up in such a way as to still be effective

of course a couple of well trained dogs are hard to beat

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

These are some good ideas. I had thought about wood on the inside but thought it would be to easy to ram in and knock off. Had not thought about it getting ripped off from the ouside. Guess the lag bolts would be the most secure. Its only wood so if someone really wants in they will get in, its more of a deterent.

Keep the ideas coming guys,, what else would you do to secure your home.

I have motion lights but if we have no power then they wont be on, and I wouldn't run my generator all night and day in a shtf event. Not only would that tell everyone within ear shot that you prob have things but gas will be an issue for most and would prob only run the get to pump water if and when needed.

I lost both My german shepards this past year and am working on another now after a few months of mourning.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #17

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Lol I love this

.facebook_724251837.jpg  

Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD313 View Post
Lol I love this
That's a really need tree house, but a bad guy with a chainsaw can ruin your day....

Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #19

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's a really need tree house, but a bad guy with a chainsaw can ruin your day....
simple solution ... secure 3 grizzly bears to the base of the tree with 20' of chain

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #20

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

"simple solution ... secure 3 grizzly bears to the base of the tree with 20' of chain "

That would for sure keep orangello away

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.