Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (
-   -   Fortifying the home (

ktmboyz 06-13-2012 07:24 PM

Fortifying the home
I know a lot of you on here are or are working on being prepared with water, food, munitions ect ect.

What have you done to fortify the home for bugging in. I have been thinking about gettign some 3/4 ply when I see it on sale for lower level windows ect. Now I know its not going to stop rounds from coming in but it will block line of sight and they wont be able to kick the glass out and climb in.

What do you think would be best after I cut it to size for each window. I was thinking 3" deck screws, but if the power is out and my cordless is dead how an I gonna drive 100 3" screws by hand :( Looks like good ole hammer and nails

I don't rally want to drill my window cases for a possible problem that may never arise, but I dont want to be caught with my pants down either.

What else have you done or what else are some good things to think about and plan for to fortify the castle.

mountainman13 06-13-2012 07:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm on the third floor. I have a security system which includes motion sensitive IR cameras. Solid doors. The only window that is accessible from outside (via a neighbors window and a scary climb) is blocked. The rest can only be opened from the inside. You break one you'll be dead before you get through and you'll need a 30' latter to reach it. I also have chimes on the windows and doors. I have some form of weapon easily accessible from anywhere I may be (example shown below). I always have a gun on me. Any questions? Lol

bkt 06-13-2012 09:34 PM

Several 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood in the garage to use if necessary. 100 sandbags (some filled, some not), floods all around the house.

c3shooter 06-13-2012 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 48823

Attachment 48824

Doors, hinges, and strike plates already reinforced. Shutters for windows.

rjd3282 06-13-2012 10:25 PM

There isn't much you can do to fortify a wood frame house. It can be shot thru like a piece of cheese. It can be burned very easily. Even if your house is bricked, a couple torches on the roof and you're screwed. If they lay siege to your place then what? You can't stay there forever. I believe it was General Patton that said fixed fortifications were monuments to mans stupidity. Sure you can prepare for bad weather assuming it isn't a tornado but fortifying against determined attackers would be damn near impossible.

mountainman13 06-13-2012 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by c3shooter

Doors, hinges, and strike plates already reinforced. Shutters for windows.

I like the air horn idea. Might modify it and add pepper spray.
Where dis you get your claymores? I'll take a few. Lol

ktmboyz 06-13-2012 10:38 PM

Yes i realize you cant keep out everybody. It would be wise to strengthen the perimeter to keep out stray looters and such. Most would turn away if access wasn't easy. There is alway the chance of a determined attacker, but a shotgun or rifle should cure bad intentions.

dog2000tj 06-13-2012 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you can board up your windows without drilling any holes in the casing/siding.
1. Cut the plywood panel to fit snug inside the exterior frame.
2. Remove operable section of window
3. Use 2x cross pieces to span across the window jambs
4. Install carriage thru-bolts from ext-int

sort of like this

ktmboyz 06-13-2012 11:11 PM

Thats a good idea thank Dog.. I am gonna have to stock up on some carriage bolts and hardware and toss it in the shtf box

dog2000tj 06-13-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ktmboyz (Post 835167)
Thats a good idea thank Dog.. I am gonna have to stock up on some carriage bolts and hardware and toss it in the shtf box

get the largest head bolt you can and use a washer - the larger the surface are the stronger it will be. it's not all that hard for a bg to punch one through the plywood if they wanted.

cost being a factor in most things if you have the option i would suggest using a siding plywood, like T111, it is much stronger than your average CDX.