Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fortification?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The thread got my attention.....I thought it said fornication.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #12

an actual fixed fortification is incredibly hard to take. even if you go roman outpost style you can dig a trench, line it with spikes and pitch, high walls, revolving guard. that will actually take alot of people, planning, gear, and work to take. that right there is not a bad idea to hunker down in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS View Post
The thread got my attention.....I thought it said fornication.
heh-heh alllllright

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I'm new around here. I have pondered the thought of it hitting the fan for years. Never acted on it, but seeing how its not getting better I'm reconsidering. How ever I'm not sure where to start and I'm having truoble getting my wife on board. And the the funds aren't really there. So my question is how do you prep, one with little to no extra cash, two when you can't really get your spouse on board. Space isn't an issue as I live on 9.5 acres. I have started acquiring guns. Working on getting a shot gun and a rifle. But my main worry is food. Its my wife and I and two kids. So just rambling now but any advice is helpful. Thanks guys.

JOSHUA 24:15 As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

The problem and solution is simple.

The problem is we all as a nation watch last man standing themed movies play the games read the books so we get the mindset to do it solo cant trust anyone.

Humans are not solitary animals we are genetically disposed to being social.

In a true shtf we have to reach out to our neighbors and fellows and treat each other with the same dignity we show our families. Its great to think you can be a lone wolf and fun to plan and such. But we have to band together in groups like the people who get smacked by tornados do. Like the people devastated by tsunamis did.

Acting like a bunch of savages and hiding in a bunker is nothing but barbaric selfish behaviour if the truth be known. Personally the wife and i will head to a warmer southern climate and help rebuild. This doesnt mean i wont have extra food on hand and such.

I just wont be acting like a selfish tard hiding in a bunker. I will be out helping keep order or rebuild as best possible

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

[QUOTE="Soliferrum"]an actual fixed fortification is incredibly hard to take. even if you go roman outpost style you can dig a trench, line it with spikes and pitch, high walls, revolving guard. that will actually take alot of people, planning, gear, and work to take. that right there is not a bad idea to hunker down in.

How easy to take or defend all depends. Ever 'fort' has its weakness. I've studyed siege works;-). We have our 'fort' but we also have back up plans, and backups from there. You cant plan for everything, you can plan to be flexable enough for everthing.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #16

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Store food and weapons and hide in a "Bunker"? Who is going to attack? Who will you be hidding from? Is this protection from an invading army? Is this from people you know needing help? If it is from an invading army your hunting rifle may not be much help. Have you ever seen a flame thrower used on a Bunker. How will you know who to kill when you look out of your Bunker and see little kids and grown ups heading your way? This sorta sounds like the Mel Gibson movies about "Mad Max".

Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #17

thats how it always ends up because everyone has an end of the world idea. so what one person has as an idea of what armageddon is, the other guy is thinking something completely different. man its like a rat test with these things. one starts one up and we all keep biting the electric food cause no one agrees.

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #18

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Ray View Post
So I'm new around here. I have pondered the thought of it hitting the fan for years. Never acted on it, but seeing how its not getting better I'm reconsidering. How ever I'm not sure where to start and I'm having truoble getting my wife on board. And the the funds aren't really there. So my question is how do you prep, one with little to no extra cash, two when you can't really get your spouse on board. Space isn't an issue as I live on 9.5 acres. I have started acquiring guns. Working on getting a shot gun and a rifle. But my main worry is food. Its my wife and I and two kids. So just rambling now but any advice is helpful. Thanks guys.
If you are wanting to get a bigger store of food and don't have much extra to spend the easiest way to do it is to buy two of something you eat instead of one when shopping. When the one is used buy two more. For a few dollars each shopping trip you can increase your pantry by double or triple in short order without a big one time hit to the pocket. The key is to not use everything up and have to start over. Maybe instead of having that soda at work you drink water and save the money for a can of fruit for the pantry.
Baby steps will get you there, it just takes longer. Any extra you get stored for time of emergency is better than not having it.

It doesn't have to be Armegeddon, a blizzard, ice storm, unexpected expense like car or house repair are all things that can be made easier with some food prep. If you have to get the trans fixed on the family truckster and money is tight, get into the stores, that's what they are for. Just replace when you can. Things like rice, beans, and pasta are inexpensive to make some substantial meals. Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #19

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Do you really think most of the guys are worried about a truck tranny?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #20

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

To me, a basement with a strong door isn't fortification. A fort would be on high ground, defended by high walls, defended by an arsenal and a force of men/women comprised from the surrounding population which benefits from it... People will not try and take over such a position; it isn't cost effective.