Fortification? - Page 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Fortification?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Calm down. You are the one who claimed you understood rural America. I see you live in Miss. This is a small eastern state with over 3 million people crammed into a small space. Miss is smaller than the Red Desert. Which has many herds of elk, deer antelope etc. and big springs. The impact of raw sewage on your water supply alone would be incredable after only a few days. The population of Miss.is larger than 3 large Western States. You can hardly expect to hide in the country in such an urban area. And yes during my years in energy exploratation I have been to Miss. as well as most other eastern states. good luck
Oh so now you have just been to MS amoung a few other SE states and your an expert about them. What a load. There's no one in western states because it's to tough for humans. Duh.... Wildlife and cattle can drink your old water springs, humans can't.

As far as game, MS propbably has more whitetail deer than all the western states have put together. There are more deer per person in MS than any other state. That is fact, look it up. So considering what you said, MS's population being more than 3 western states, seems you don't have enough deer to worry about too much water.

You are woefully uninformed about the USA. Came here to make money, then speak like your an expert about the states you've worked.

Give me a break.

I'm over this one. Your condesending type post do nothing for me.

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #112

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

As I told you in my post. Did you read it? I worked thru out the east in the energy exploration Biz. Facts you live near very Urban areas very close. Small states like Ga., has over 9 million people, Miss over 3 milion. I don't recall every being very far from population while researching for oil in rural areas. of the south It seems there were people and trailers scattered thru out semi-rural areas. Drilling was a problem, people showed up every where. to watch.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #113

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It is much less densely populated out west than it is in the south. But that isn't necesarily a good thing. As you mentioned, wyoming has some of the worst winters in the country. Many people who live there now would die in the first winter without power. Montana is even worse.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both situations in a shtf scenario. There is a reason the south is more populated than the west is. Its enormously easier to survive here. People didn't go west for any other reason than money. They wanted to get rich so they could come back and live in wealth. It is possible to survive in the northern western states, definitely, but most would die. Most would die everywhere though.

But all of this is irrelevant to what this topic is about. I personally believe bugging out to a preppared secluded position is a very viable solution. Especially if you bring a group of people with you, several families. A group of people increase your chances of survival exponentially. You cannot possess all of the skills to survive for long term, but a group of people can. This is why being kicked out of a native american tribe was a death sentence. There are simply to many tasks that must be adressed. Food, water, shelter, protection, sleep. All of those cannot be achieved by one person.

For people who want a bugout location, buy a peice of land in the middle of no where, it will most likely be pretty cheap (as far as land goes) and you can build an underground bunker out of cargo shipping containers which can be had for around 3 grand a peice. Since it is underground it is naturally concealed, some camo netting would conceal the entrance(s) very well.

You also have to realize that a shtf scenario almost certainly will not last years. It will last months at most. The government estimates in a worst case scenario of an emp attack, where over 90% of electronics are wiped out over the entire country (a virtually impossible event) it would take about 6 months to COMPLETELY restore society.

As always, you should over prepare. 1 year of supplies isn't really that much. About 2 pallets of food (stacked about like they are at walmarts) would be enough for a family of 4 to eat pretty well for a year. Also, if you are going to store large amounts of food and water, you will not need nearly as much ammunition. And as things get better, you will need them (the supplies and ammo) less. Communities will continue/develop surprisingly fast. A very important part of surviving a shtf scenario is also one of the most overlooked. If you have a plan, with a group of people you trust, say 20 people, you could easily form a tribe that could be self sufficient. You would also have enough people to form a defensive area that would be very difficult to take. 20 people with rifles is a significant force to be reckoned with. As time goes on, you will encounter other groups that have formed, and you could work with them to trade supplies you lack for supplies they lack. Veggies for meat, ammo for water, ciggarettes for booze etc.

Any amount of prepping is better than none, and no method of prepping is worse than doing nothing. If someone wants to attempt to go into the wilderness alone and survive, and they prepare for that, their chances are still higher than someone who makes no preperations.

But, to say it again, one of the most important parts of prepping is networking with people you know. Meet your neighbors, get to know them, treat them with respect, it could save your life some day.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Cory2; 03-22-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #114

The Eastern mind set? Gee if you don't have power you will die? And Eastern Folk wonder why we call them Dudes and Green Horns. Why do hunters flock to the Western States to hunt? And no I didn't see over 3 million of those little "Dog Deer" in Miss.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #115
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
The Eastern mind set? Gee if you don't have power you will die? And Eastern Folk wonder why we call them Dudes and Green Horns. Why do hunters flock to the Western States to hunt? And no I didn't see over 3 million of those little "Dog Deer" in Miss.
You must not be familiar with midwestern corn fed white tails.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #116

I have seen a number White Tails in Neb. while bird hunting. They are much larger than those poor little Southern deer. A big mule deer is a real deer.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #117

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
I have seen a number White Tails in Neb. while bird hunting. They are much larger than those poor little Southern deer. A big mule deer is a real deer.
Hey now, at least we get out of the truck to hunt and shoot our deer. I was out west for 15 years. Seems like about every hunter I knew did the road hunt.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #118
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Hey now, at least we get out of the truck to hunt and shoot our deer. I was out west for 15 years. Seems like about every hunter I knew did the road hunt.
Speaks volumes for the company you keep.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #119

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Speaks volumes for the company you keep.
Hey I was just the new guy from the south at work. I would sit in the breakroom listening to their exploits. This was in the 90's, maybe it was legal in Ore, Wa. back then. I was much more into salmon fishing. You ever try landing a 30# salmon thru the window of a f150. That's sporting.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #120
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Hey I was just the new guy from the south at work. I would sit in the breakroom listening to their exploits. This was in the 90's, maybe it was legal in Ore, Wa. back then. I was much more into salmon fishing. You ever try landing a 30# salmon thru the window of a f150. That's sporting.
Ha ha! Now that is a story I would like to hear! Didn't you see the "no fishing from bridge" sign? Oh yeah, I know, you weren't fishing from the bridge, you were fishing from the truck that happened to be on the bridge.

Newest Threads