Fortification? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fortification?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ray_Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Odenville,Ala
Posts: 94
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I spent the first 22 years of my life in the city. My dad is a country boy so we would go camping a lot and spent most of my summers on the lake. I moved out to the country at 23 and now live on 10acres. I would not trade the country life for city life for anything! I still work in the city but knowing I don't have to go to sleep there is a big weight lifted. I can grow my own food but there is a lot I want to learn. But IMO when SHTF happends that's the day Jesus will split the eastern sky and with the sound of a trumpet from the archangel, God's children will be called home! Hallelujah! But it still doesn't hurt to get prepared for anything.

__________________

JOSHUA 24:15 As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

Ray_Ray is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #102
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 134
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
some people may be able to survive in the High Country and big deserts of the American west. Even that would be difficult due to the great distances you would have to cover. Big game still migrates over rough areas for hundreds of miles. I think in the east with the large populations the water would very soon be ruined by lack of proper sanitation. There is today a lack of clean surface water from which to drink. When water plants are closed and sewage backs up things will get bad fast. Sub surface water will be impossible for most people to lift without power. In order for game to survive among a large population you must have good land managment. This will not happen. Russia and Germany had hunters and all sorts of game. The people during WWII were reduced to eating rats and worse very fast.
With respect, I would have to just agree to disagree.

Having been born and early raised out west, El Paso, lived really out west, CA for 6 years and Wyoming for 18 months I can speak from some experince.

Water in most places out west, particularly in WY, is replaced once a year. Snowmelt is it. Rainfall is very low. Most places are out of water by end of August or September. The worst cast of Montazuma's revenge I've been blessed to have was from that "clean" surface water just south of Jackson Hole where I lived, Bedford, WY. Winters aren't just cold, they can be brutal. The winter can and will kill you.

CA is, well CA. What else to say. 7 years spent in Fresno was enough.

El Paso, was left when I was 7. Thank goodness.

Having said all this, far east USA, yep overcrowded, natural resourses limited. But here in the south, short of hurricanes, is as good a place to be in TEOTWAWKI as any. Long growing seasons, actually all year long, with a wider diversity of crops too.

Yep we went through a small drough last year, but we actually still had water. Our water is as good as anywhere in the world, period. It is normally replaced 10-12 times a year, much more than out west.

Yep, got some folks down here, but they will be dealt with as needed. Plus their density is not as heavy as back up the east coast.

So just because you live in an isolated area doesn't mean you will have it better. I only see it as one will just die by themseleves.

Not picking a fight, ok? Just pointing out there are many other as good or better places to take on TEOTWAWKI.

Jimmy
__________________

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Jimmy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #103
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: wyoming
Posts: 1,799
Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Living a few months in Star Valley may not have prepared you for western life. The deserts have many springs that run the year around. How do you think millions of cows,Sheep and big game live in the West? You don't seemed to understand "Chinook" winds or much else. Your post makes me wonder?

__________________
Durangokid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #104
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 134
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Living a few months in Star Valley may not have prepared you for western life. The deserts have many springs that run the year around. How do you think millions of cows,Sheep and big game live in the West? You don't seemed to understand "Chinook" winds or much else. Your post makes me wonder?
Well I can tell this is going, no where. I did start mine post repectfully. I didn't try to insult you at all. Not trying to get in a pissing contest with you. So I'll bow out.

BTW, it appears you really know nothing of "back east" either, as most of what you say has no basis. Which makes me question your posts also.

Repectfully,

Jimmy
__________________

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Jimmy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #105
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,565
Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11544

Default

Out here in CA I would say that we have the best all-around climate of anywhere else in the country. The most fertile farming land in the country is California's Central Valley, and the Santa Clara Valley is just as good, albeit mostly paved over today. While it doesn't rain for most of the months of the year there is plentiful ground water if you know where to find it, how to get at it and how to make it safe if necessary.

The only thing that I see anybody (including on this forum) complain about in CA is the politics. I would daresay that in a true SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation that would no longer be an issue. Point in fact, after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake there was virtually no looting or panic. People just hunkered down, took care of their immediate situation and worked towards recovery.

__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #106
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Out here in CA I would say that we have the best all-around climate of anywhere else in the country. The most fertile farming land in the country is California's Central Valley, and the Santa Clara Valley is just as good, albeit mostly paved over today. While it doesn't rain for most of the months of the year there is plentiful ground water if you know where to find it, how to get at it and how to make it safe if necessary.

The only thing that I see anybody (including on this forum) complain about in CA is the politics. I would daresay that in a true SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation that would no longer be an issue. Point in fact, after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake there was virtually no looting or panic. People just hunkered down, took care of their immediate situation and worked towards recovery.
When i drove otr i loved going to Cali because of the weather....and the fact that there has to be something in the water because ive never seen so many beautiful women. I mean nearly every car or pickup that past me had at least one babe in it....

But as a gun owner id never move there because i refuse to be a victim and the liberal gub'ment there really rubs me the wrong way.

A trucker buddy of mine was there one day and a cop was gonna write him a ticket for idling his truck to run the a/c since it was too hot to sleep in the truck without it. That is until he found out he had a dog in the truck so he tore up the ticket. Apperently animals have more rights there than humans.
__________________

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #107
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: wyoming
Posts: 1,799
Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Calm down. You are the one who claimed you understood rural America. I see you live in Miss. This is a small eastern state with over 3 million people crammed into a small space. Miss is smaller than the Red Desert. Which has many herds of elk, deer antelope etc. and big springs. The impact of raw sewage on your water supply alone would be incredable after only a few days. The population of Miss.is larger than 3 large Western States. You can hardly expect to hide in the country in such an urban area. And yes during my years in energy exploratation I have been to Miss. as well as most other eastern states. good luck

__________________
Durangokid is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #108
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,565
Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11544

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
When i drove otr i loved going to Cali because of the weather....and the fact that there has to be something in the water because ive never seen so many beautiful women. I mean nearly every car or pickup that past me had at least one babe in it....

But as a gun owner id never move there because i refuse to be a victim and the liberal gub'ment there really rubs me the wrong way.

A trucker buddy of mine was there one day and a cop was gonna write him a ticket for idling his truck to run the a/c since it was too hot to sleep in the truck without it. That is until he found out he had a dog in the truck so he tore up the ticket. Apperently animals have more rights there than humans.
I have to agree with you there. The gun laws are Draconian, and so are the environmental laws (as imposed by the California Air Resources Board). That is the source of the laws governing how long you can idle your truck. The way the law is written it is in direct conflict with Federal laws restricting the number of hours you can be behind the wheel. You can't stop at a rest stop to sleep with the truck idling, and you can't continue driving to a truck stop that has an AC plug-in.

I would hope that most of the cops here in CA would give a pass to a trucker at a rest stop, but it would not surprise me if they didn't.

Again, in the TEOTWAWKI situation I'm thinking there would not be too much preventing me from doing what is necessary to survive insofar as the CARB or the police are concerned (my plan would include bugging in). Keep a low profile and don't do anything crazy. That's the plan anyhow.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #109
mcb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 532
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
Calm down. You are the one who claimed you understood rural America. I see you live in Miss. This is a small eastern state with over 3 million people crammed into a small space. Miss is smaller than the Red Desert. Which has many herds of elk, deer antelope etc. and big springs. The impact of raw sewage on your water supply alone would be incredable after only a few days. The population of Miss.is larger than 3 large Western States. You can hardly expect to hide in the country in such an urban area. And yes during my years in energy exploratation I have been to Miss. as well as most other eastern states. good luck
I think your absolutely right about the eastern states. I live in western pa in an old rust belt area. Even though I live in farm country there are a few million people within a 100 miles.
I also own property in north central pa near the Allegheny national forest. Even that is still too close to too many people. I do have the advantage of a remote location with a hand pumped spring fed well. I bought the land years ago as a hunting camp, it's now my fallback position in a shtf.
It's hard to compare to the west where it can be 100 miles from town to town. Lots of space to disappear in.
__________________
mcb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #110
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Georgiahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 506
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
In a "Disney" world every one in town will protect each other. In the "Real" world society breaks down. Starvation, disease and constant threats causes mistrust in every tribe. What is rural? In the West it can be roads 100 miles long with no permanet residents. In the East it can be small towns 5 miles apart. These small towns surrounding large urban centers would be over run very fast.
Have you been east? There are definitely rural areas in most places. Towns are much more than 5 miles apart and we are not as densely populated as you say we are. No offense, but don't say something unless you know it's true.
Edit: Sure the north may have crowded parts, but they've got plenty of rural land too. Your assessment of the east and the south is wrong and I believe I sense a bias because you live out west. I have to agree with Jimmy on this one. I am not trying to start a fight and hope this didn't come off disrespectfully, but I just wanted to let you know that we do, in fact, have very rural and country areas, contrary to your belief.
__________________

Last edited by Georgiahunter; 03-18-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Georgiahunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes