food and water storage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > food and water storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default food and water storage

My Mom and all our Indiana country folks have always stored 5 gal buckets of flour, beans, corn meal and sugar. They have always put bay leaves in the buckets to keep it fresh and bug free. Dose anyone else do this? I also use Iodophore to clean containers before storing water and add a drop per gallon to the water. My beer making friends advised me to do this. Has anyone tried this? Is it safe to use. Thanks, I'm always running ideas through my head and with this forum I can ask others.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I've seen some youtube stuff that compared pails with bay leaves and pails without. After I don't remember how many years there wasn't any difference.
The thought 20 years ago was that bay leaves would deter insects, I still don't know it there is any truth in it.
I freeze my stuff before I pail it. Mylar bags and O2 absorbers.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I've seen some youtube stuff that compared pails with bay leaves and pails without. After I don't remember how many years there wasn't any difference.
The thought 20 years ago was that bay leaves would deter insects, I still don't know it there is any truth in it.
I freeze my stuff before I pail it. Mylar bags and O2 absorbers.
That's what I do too fireguy.

For water storage, I buy Culligan water from Walmart in 3-5 gallon jugs.
We have a whole house water purification system that we use for daily consumption and short term storage, i.e. camping/hunting trips, etc.