Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Food Stores to keep at home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Food Stores to keep at home

I am thinking of building up a reserve of food to keep at the house so we will have something to eat when SHTF. I am not sure what kind of stuff I should get though. I need stuff with a long shelf life so I do not have to restock it all the time. Any advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There are any number of survival & prep forums out there. Google what you're looking for and you'll find all kinds of recommendations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Many places sell MRE's and other long shelf life stuff. Canned goods. Do some canning yourself. That stuff lasts forever.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

costco wholesale has a 5 gallon survival bucket full of food. Look it up.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

No matter how much glorious food you stockpile... don't forget the water!

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
No matter how much glorious food you stockpile... don't forget the water!
I have a spring on my property. There are also lots of streams. I might have to boil it first but water should not be a problem.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Store what you eat. In a SHTF scenario, you're going to be stressed. If you have a family or live with others you're providing for, THEY will be stressed which will only add to your stress. So be as comfortable as you can be with familiar food.

Stock it on shelves and rotate it out, putting the newest stuff in the back and taking the oldest stuff to use normally from the front.

Learn to make stuff you enjoy from ingredients rather than prepackaged mixes. Then store ingredients in bulk. Standard food-grade buckets with gamma lids and some O2 absorbers will keep salt, sugar, flour, wheat grain and rice for years with minimal fussing.

Learn to cook great-tasting food without technology. You can make a hell of a delicious stew in a Dutch oven which can go in a bed of coals. Get used to making and eating these kinds of food today so it won't require a transition after the S has HTF.

GROW A GARDEN if you don't have one already. Growing your own food saves you money at the store, is healthier than the stuff you buy from the store, and gives you an element of self-sufficiency and independence you don't otherwise have.

As ScottG says, storing water is a must. Keep several gallons stocked at all times. If you have a natural source of water nearby (one that won't be cut off if technology fails us), then have a means to collect it and purify it -- I recommend a Berkey filter.

Don't forget other necessities like soap, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. Look in your fridge and kitchen cabinets to decide what food to store, but also look in your medicine cabinet in the bathroom to see what else to store.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #8

bkt put it best.

If you are talking real long term, rice and dry beans go a long way. Get non hybrid seeds so you can replant. Between rice, beans, and canned goods from a productive garden, you can survive and eat well. If you need meat, kill it and grill it.
I would recommend you also try some small game hunting and eat what you kill. You will learn how to prepare the various critters into something you will enjoy.
Around here squirrels and turkeys are king. I have so many ways to prepare or incorporate squirrel into recipes that I am thinking I should write the first ever squirrel cook book as prepared with cast iron.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

what gus said. Rice, dried beans, dried peas (good for you) dried lentils (barf) honey, you can live a long time. If you have too many lentils it will seem too long. Also, noodles last a long time, cook quick, and add body to a squirrel stew. Honey will crystalize, but last damn near forever.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:55 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Good ideas

Hey,Thelt, All the ideas those guy's listed are good. My wife and I went about it like this; About 3 yr.'s ago we started with canned goods and dried beans you eat every month and bought a 1yr.'s supply as soon we could. We are growing a garden, and she learned to can meat and veggies. We could live easily 3 yr.'s on what we have now. Date everything and rotate everything. Have a good water source and place to hunt. Then all you have to do is defend it! Will give you a good feeling to know you're ready. Hardrock