Food storage idea
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Food storage idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Food storage idea

I hope you can give me some feed back on my storage plan. I have been stocking up at Wal-Mart slowly. And we are starting to can our own meat based products like pulled pork, taco meat, chile, etc. We have a large pantry but it is starting to fill up. I have 10 large 40x30x32 Styrofoam coolers with lids. Each one will hold most of a field dressed elk. I can store a lot of bags, cans, jars and boxes of food in them. Very thick walls. They ship insulin in them to big pharmacy centers out west. Mine had been out side in the 90 deg heat for a week and the blue ice packs were still cold and slushy. My question with these taped shut will they provide a good storage environment in a not too hot or cold garage? I also have 7 five gallon buckets with screw on lid that corn starch comes in to make fake pills for drug trials. They seal real good and tight. Will these be good for flour and corn meal type products? Thanks for any advice or comments.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Your five gallon buckets should be fine since they are "food grade" I'm not sure about the lids. There are some excellent lids out there that I've found for about $7.00 - $8.00 each.

I don't know about your styrofoam coolers.

If you are canning meats, I hope you are using a pressure cooker. A hot water bath canner will not do the job.

It sounds like you've given this some serious thought. Keep it up.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
My question with these taped shut will they provide a good storage environment in a not too hot or cold garage?
Should. It really depends on the temp in the garage not the container IMO. Sooner or later the inside of any container is gonna reach it's surroundings.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Salt the hell out of all the meat and it'll last forever. If you keep foods in a barrel of water, thats airtight too.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Salt the hell out of all the meat and it'll last forever. If you keep foods in a barrel of water, thats airtight too.
Exactly right. If you want to use the coolers as storage boxes, knock yourself out. But you have to preserve the stuff you keep in them first. There's no way meat or other food that isn't canned or otherwise preserved will keep over time. If the coolers block light, so much the better. (If they don't spray paint them - it may not be perfect, but it's better than nothing.)

Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

These are big Thick coolers. You can stand 2, 300lb men on the lid and it holds just fine. No light will enter either. I am hoping they will act as mini root cellars, giving me a good storage environment. I do plan on pressure canning the meat. We are 6000 ft so I need a 15 lb weight. hope to pick it up in Albuquerque this coming weekend. The buckets came with the screw on lids with big rubber seals and gear locks. My Mom just used pickle buckets and bay leaves to store stuff. Now I hear the bay leaves don't help. We camp a lot and I am really good in cooking over a fire so we plan to eat real food. I did get 2 cases of MREs with heaters in case we get to busy to cook. But I think we will be fine. How do we store cheese for the long term? I'll miss it the most.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #7

I am here searching for the Food storage places for 2 days. The places which provide me self storage in baltimore and with a reasonable prices and high quality. It should be for long term and short term also. Actually I am shifting my shop to Baltimore and it took at least 2 day. So please tell me any food storage place. Thanks.

self storage in baltimore

Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #8

This is the BEST video on youtube to watch.

Get your self some Mylar bags to store your beans, rice, wheat, etc

Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #9

I have a far out question.

I hear of these underground cellars. How cold does an underground cellar get? Can you store food? How deep down does it have to be to store food? etc etc?

What are some other ways to store meat besides smoking it or dehydrating it?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstian_indy View Post
I have a far out question.

I hear of these underground cellars. How cold does an underground cellar get? Can you store food? How deep down does it have to be to store food? etc etc?

What are some other ways to store meat besides smoking it or dehydrating it?
If I remember correctly the temperature of the earth below the frost line is around 62-65 degrees F, i.e. inside a cave or cellar. You can store food in one, country folks still call them "root cellars". You can can meats, as others have said just make sure to use a pressure cooker (and find out how long the given meat needs to cook and at what temp.) and salt the fool out of it. There's always freeze drying too, if you're set up to do it.