food storage

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > food storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default food storage

Im growing a veggie garden again this year, and will hopefully have more food to store. I'm going to have some peas that I will want frozen (canned peas suck, not an option) but I'm not sure how to go about long-term freezing them, or what to store them in while in the freezer. Anyone have suggestions or tricks?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Get a vacuum sealer to remove all air so they won't get freezer-burned. You should be OK.

Consider getting a dehydrator, too.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Vacuum sealer is probably the best way. However if you want to be really cheap, Alton Brown taught me a trick that works well. Place a straw in a zip lock bag and squeeze the air out with the straw in the bag sticking out the top. You can get way more air out using a straw than without. It's not a vacuum sealer but it's better than nothing.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5629 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

try this page:

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Freeze

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #5

Default Ziploc Baggies

In the past we used the 1 gal ziploc baggies. We blanched the vegies and then sealed the ziploc. We mashed out the air when zipping the bag. But the straw sounds like a great idea also..

Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the link Jon, I bookmarked it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

I agree, get a vacuum sealer. And for long term food freezing, get a freezer that is not a defrosting one. That defrosting cycle is not good for the food. The freezer attached to my fridge is a self defrosting one and I only put short term freezer stuff in there, like the stuff I'll be using up in the next couple months. In my basement I have a small freezer that is not a defrosting one. That I use for longer term frozen foods.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #8

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I agree, get a vacuum sealer. And for long term food freezing, get a freezer that is not a defrosting one. That defrosting cycle is not good for the food. The freezer attached to my fridge is a self defrosting one and I only put short term freezer stuff in there, like the stuff I'll be using up in the next couple months. In my basement I have a small freezer that is not a defrosting one. That I use for longer term frozen foods.
I'd never thought about the defrost cycle being bad for long term storage. Is it the temperature change that causes problems?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2116

Default Freezer vrs canning.....

Freezing short term is the logical thing to do. Add water to stop freezer burn. As for peas its the type that makes the difference in canning or freezing when it comes to taste. Your purple hull peas are better for canning. the longer they sit on the shelf after canning the better they are. Canning tomatos is the way to go. you can add all your spices to it be for canning. Besides canning is more fun and you don't have to worry about the freezer going out.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I'd never thought about the defrost cycle being bad for long term storage. Is it the temperature change that causes problems?
Yes. The defrosting cycle does exactly what the word implies. It slightly warms up the freezer to above freezing point to get rid of the frost. The food won't really defrost because it is much more solid than the frost but it will wreak havoc on the freshness and taste of the food over time. That's what freezer burn is, really.

Use a freezer considered a 'deep freeze'........one that doesn't self defrost.