Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Florida BOB...LIVING OFF THE CREEK

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gaspump86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 372
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Default

I recently had some extra money. I was going to buy a gun. Instead I started my BOB. Something I have been wanting to do for a while.
Here is a list of what I have and at the bottom what I still need.
Anyone see anything missing?

Current inventory:

US GI molle large ruck woodland
6x assorted size drybags

-3 days food and water

Shelter-
poncho, paracord, e-blanket

Fire & light-
e-candles, trioxane,
w/p matches, lighter, hand sanitizer, dryer lint, flashlight, Hand warmers,

Cooking & eating-
mess kit, lexann spoon, fork & knife, pocket gas burner, 2 cans of fuel, seasoning, metal water bottle, can opener

Tools-
folding shovel, folding saw, hatchett/hammer/pry bar, machete & sheath, gun cleaning kit, assorted hand tools, rod and reel, tackle, whistle,

Health-
hygiene kit, bug spray, t.p. & wipes, snake bite kit, camo insect head net, glasses & goggles, water tablets, body powder, respirator, A&D ointment, sun screen, eye drops, peroxide, 2 pr. Socks, 2 pr Underwear, gloves

--------------------------------------------------

Still need:
Camo tent
Camo tarp
2 US GI wool blankets
E-radio
Fire starter & magnesium
First aid
Water filter pump & filter
Glow sticks
Headlamp
wet stone
8'' bolt cutters
Neosporin
Pint of whiskey
Filet knife with sheath
Compass & map of my region

__________________

Last edited by gaspump86; 01-08-2013 at 04:56 AM.
gaspump86 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1763 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

I would consider a couple shelter halves.

I don't see a firearm on your list. Knowing where we are posting I have to assume you have one, but is it survival specific? Can you gather food with it?

Dump the bug spray and get something you rub on. It will take up less space, weigh less, and isn't dependent on compressed gases to work.

I would seriously consider forgetting about the headlamp. It makes a nice target. Consider a 2AA LED maglight and get the accessory kit that gives you three different lens covers and a pocket clip. This should run less than $35 total. The red lens is invaluable at night. Spare batteries. If you really want a headlamp, consider the Nitize headband to hold your maglight.

Add more socks. A lot more socks. Figure three pairs per day that you expect to be out.

Go to your local pharmacy and get baby wipes in the travel packs. Less empty space to be lugging around.

You are very vague about your first aid kit. Find a hurricane preparedness page and follow the guidelines for their kit. Add a collapsible splint and some form of clotting agent. Also add three triangular bandages. These can be used for slings, rough filtering of water before boiling, securing dressings, tying splints, and to protect your head and neck from the sun

__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gaspump86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 372
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
I would consider a couple shelter halves.

I don't see a firearm on your list. Knowing where we are posting I have to assume you have one, but is it survival specific? Can you gather food with it?

Dump the bug spray and get something you rub on. It will take up less space, weigh less, and isn't dependent on compressed gases to work.

I would seriously consider forgetting about the headlamp. It makes a nice target. Consider a 2AA LED maglight and get the accessory kit that gives you three different lens covers and a pocket clip. This should run less than $35 total. The red lens is invaluable at night. Spare batteries. If you really want a headlamp, consider the Nitize headband to hold your maglight.

Add more socks. A lot more socks. Figure three pairs per day that you expect to be out.

Go to your local pharmacy and get baby wipes in the travel packs. Less empty space to be lugging around.

You are very vague about your first aid kit. Find a hurricane preparedness page and follow the guidelines for their kit. Add a collapsible splint and some form of clotting agent. Also add three triangular bandages. These can be used for slings, rough filtering of water before boiling, securing dressings, tying splints, and to protect your head and neck from the sun
Yes I have a firearm. S&W sw9ve 9mm, 4x 16rd mags. (kel tec su16c coming soon)
It doesent ride in the bob so I left it out.

I do have a couple mini mag lights

that makes sense about the bug spray
__________________
gaspump86 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 3,969
Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Default

I have a pack that is for camping or bob. I have a sleeping bag attached to the bottom of my bag and a tent on the top. I have another bag that is more of a survival bag with a poncho and a space blanket. That is something I carry when hiking. But I have my main pack set up to be more comfortable for a longer peoriod of time. I also have an older bb pistol. It is the pump up type. I have taken a squirel with it. Very powerful for a pistol. I keep it and a tube of bbs in the side pocket of the pack.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gaspump86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 372
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I have a pack that is for camping or bob. I have a sleeping bag attached to the bottom of my bag and a tent on the top. I have another bag that is more of a survival bag with a poncho and a space blanket. That is something I carry when hiking. But I have my main pack set up to be more comfortable for a longer peoriod of time. I also have an older bb pistol. It is the pump up type. I have taken a squirel with it. Very powerful for a pistol. I keep it and a tube of bbs in the side pocket of the pack.
Cool.
I definantly will be doing some camping/hiking/canoe camping with this pack.

My goal is to have a pack that will sustain me until I get to my BOL but also be as light as possible.
When I get to my bol. I will work to conceal my camp and build some bushcraft items that will make things easier.
__________________
gaspump86 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1763 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
Yes I have a firearm. S&W sw9ve 9mm, 4x 16rd mags. (kel tec su16c coming soon)
It doesent ride in the bob so I left it out.

I do have a couple mini mag lights

that makes sense about the bug spray
You may want to give some thought to either a .22 lr or .410 backpacking gun. Something you can take down for carrying. I don't think there would be much squirrel left if you get a body shot with a 9 mm.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gaspump86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 372
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

You may want to give some thought to either a .22 lr or .410 backpacking gun. Something you can take down for carrying. I don't think there would be much squirrel left if you get a body shot with a 9 mm.
True. I want a henry .22 survival rifle
__________________
gaspump86 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1763 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
True. I want a henry .22 survival rifle
I have been looking at the 10-22 Takedown model, but that Henry looks like the better choice. The price is about the same, but the footprint is smaller for the Henry.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chainfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,208
Liked 1060 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

Whatcha gonna do about the 'skeeters Bob. Unless the collapse of society as we know it happens in the dead of Winter, they gonna eat you alive.

__________________

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Chainfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TLuker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S.C.
Posts: 2,432
Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1954

Default

What you have and want to add would be good if you were traveling by vehicle or boat, but I'm guessing too heavy if you're on foot. It's good that you're planning on doing some hiking. That'll give you chance to check the weight.

__________________
TLuker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Oak Creek Sikh shooting JonM The Club House 2 08-05-2012 06:50 PM
Butler Creek or Choate? p35bhp55 Mini-14 Forum 2 05-09-2012 11:01 PM
Knob Creek MLRDist Gun Shows 13 10-18-2011 11:20 PM
Lytle Creek. pagj17 Range Report 5 08-23-2010 08:06 AM