You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Flares!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Flares!

Alright, so, every survivalist understands the need for fire as well as fires' many uses and most people have a few good ways of producing it. Related to that, it seems as though every red-blooded survivalist also has a passion for the cool, but less than functional products on the market - one of those products being flares!

I admit its great to pop open a tube and have fire and sparks go shooting instantly into the nigt, but in the end is there a true practical use for flares nowadays.

A few road flares may be useful, and of course marine use of flares for emegency signalling is fine, but for most of us on land, aside from cool effects or dramtic hollywood scenes what does anyone really plan to do with flares in an emergency.

I have a few ideas, but I am pushing for discussion so that the mall-ninjas out there can know what to do with what they're buying!

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #2

I should also note, feel free to discuss types (type B, type C), colours and their meanings or signal patterns, even laws regarding use.
Also of note: underwater flares, aerial flares, ground flares, flare guns etc. Give the people a good talking to!

In a survival situation are any of these better than battery operated signaling devices, flashlights or other items!

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
I should also note, feel free to discuss types (type B, type C), colours and their meanings or signal patterns, even laws regarding use.
Also of note: underwater flares, aerial flares, ground flares, flare guns etc. Give the people a good talking to!

In a survival situation are any of these better than battery operated signaling devices, flashlights or other items!
I don't see why you wouldn't want to have multiple methods of signalling.

Personally my semi-drunk "dream" SHTF signalling kit would be a mirror, a decent flare or two (the pop in the air kind) in a pack that's made of VS 17 pannel that can be easily opened far enough to be effective on it's own and an IR buzz saw (IR strobe attached to some 550 cord)

Yay for survival!
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #4

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 60

We use flares on a broom handle extender to set back-burn fires in the wide open prairies. When we don't have a drip torch available, it works fine. They could be a lifesaver in the same capacity if there is a need to control a wildfire when there is no fire department anymore. Might save your donkey.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1306 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Stump remover and sugar (2:3 mix) melted, ground up and packed in a metal tube works as a great homemade flare. Don't grind it up but pack it as-is and it works as a great smoke grenade.

Flares are one method of signaling, but I prefer the less obtrusive methods. If I'm in deep crap and I don't care who comes to my aid, a conventional flare is fine, o' course.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Stump remover and sugar (2:3 mix) melted, ground up and packed in a metal tube works as a great homemade flare. Don't grind it up but pack it as-is and it works as a great smoke grenade.
Sounds a little anarchist cookbooky to me, but I like it! And frankly its good to know how to make things when store shelves run dry - so thanks for the tips!

I have a bunch of red flares - obviously for distress signalling, what other signals can be done with flares?

-Unknown-

"No Compromise"

Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Flares are yet another reason I love my mossberg, they don't cycle correctly due to their shortness but they work fine if combat loaded.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM