Fish antibiotics? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fish antibiotics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1839 Times on 1310 Posts
Likes Given: 2076

Default good for the goose......

My brother starting taking meds that were used on horses. He ain't dead yet, he believes in the fish oil and such. I can't recall what he said I need to rebuild the knees but he takes it daily, the same stuff they give race horses. A lot of women use the shampoo that are made for show horses....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2733 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 270

This thread go me thinking about shelf life of drugs. Which led to me finding this:

http://www.terrierman.com/antibiotics-WSJ.htm

Quote:
Do drugs really stop working after the date stamped on the bottle?

Fifteen years ago, the U. S. military decided to find out. Sitting on a $1 billion stockpile of drugs and facing the daunting process of destroying and replacing its supply every two to three years, the military began a testing program to see if it could extend the life of its inventory.

The testing, conducted by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration, ultimately covered more than 100 drugs, prescription and over-the-counter. The results, never before reported, show that about 90% of them were safe and effective far past their original expiration date, at least one for 15 years past it.

In light of these results, a former director of the testing program, Francis Flaherty, says he has concluded that expiration dates put on by manufacturers typically have no bearing on whether a drug is usable for longer.

Mr. Flaherty notes that a drug maker is required to prove only that a drug is still good on whatever expiration date the company chooses to set. The expiration date doesn't mean, or even suggest, that the drug will stop being effective after that, nor that it will become harmful.

it continues...

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8469

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc007 View Post
Every time I hear someone say they are stocking up on fish antibiotics it makes me ask why don't they just ask a doctor for a prescription. It is better quality cheaper and comes in those handy bottles. Just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino View Post
Most doctors won't just hand over a prescription for an antibiotic due to liability and overuse. It may not even be legal for them to write one without a diagnosis. Going to the doc and saying "Can I have a 6-month scrip for an antibiotic so I can stockpile it for prepping?" will probably get you laughed out of the office.
Therhino is right. A doctor shouldn't just freely write a prescription just because a patient wants it. They have to justify what they write if asked. I would switch doctors, personally, if I thought mine was freely writing 'scripts for whoever and whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
My brother starting taking meds that were used on horses. He ain't dead yet, he believes in the fish oil and such. I can't recall what he said I need to rebuild the knees but he takes it daily, the same stuff they give race horses. A lot of women use the shampoo that are made for show horses....
DMSO for bad knees, I think.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #14

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

This thread, and the info within the links it contains should be stickied!

So reading through the information, and guess what? Bactrim (a popular anti-biotic for those alergic to the penecilin family) is exactly what Fish Sulfa Forte is! Sulfadimethoxazole 800mg, Triethoprim 160mg!

That blew my mind! Im on bactrim right now! Sorry, little excited. This is all new to me...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 02-13-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Negate Liability :D

Old 02-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Works great if your gills get infected!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #16

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Works great if your gills get infected!
More of a scale infection...on my left leg, er I mean left "fin"

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #17

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I haven't used antibiotics for a couple of years now and don't plan on using them again. I have been using essential oils that have natural antibiotic properties without the dangerous side effects of producing superbugs. So far I have successfully treated an infected tooth (got a root canal on it, but treated it with Myrrh and Clove oils for infection and pain respectively). Treated a sinus infection with saline flush that had Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Frankinsense oils.

So far so good, and no drugs!
How do you feel about oil of oregano ? It has helped me in the past and just a great boost for the immune system overall.

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
How do you feel about oil of oregano ? It has helped me in the past and just a great boost for the immune system overall.
I use it with my pizza and keep it next to the parseley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #19

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I randomly tuned into the Patriot Nurse channel on YouTube and she does a full blown 15 minute video on the benefits of various antibiotics to have on hand just in case. Says it could be a true life saver if needed.....and something nobody thinks of.

I scooped up a bottle of Ampicillin myself. Its a very useful general anti that can cure up most bacterial infections. Cant hurt. Good for 3 years. And yes its the EXACT same drug they prescribe for humans. For those commenting about just getting a doctor RX, well, it aint that easy unless you personally know a doc. They dont just hand out scripts of antibiotics most times....requires a visit and a reason.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1181 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 2294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I haven't used antibiotics for a couple of years now and don't plan on using them again. I have been using essential oils that have natural antibiotic properties without the dangerous side effects of producing superbugs. So far I have successfully treated an infected tooth (got a root canal on it, but treated it with Myrrh and Clove oils for infection and pain respectively). Treated a sinus infection with saline flush that had Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Frankinsense oils.

So far so good, and no drugs!
That's good stuff that everyone needs to keep in mind. Penicillin use to work on just about everything and then the bugs got used to it and now it rarely works. That's largely due to it being over prescribed for too many years and people not taking the full course of it after they started it. Antibiotics are nothing to play with and they shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary.

In addition to creating superbugs, they can also really mess up the good bacteria in your gut and cause all sorts of digestive problems.