Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > First time buying seeds online.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 346
Default First time buying seeds online.

Wife and I will like to buy the following items...

.lavender
.chamomile
.peppermint
.lemon balm


Which place will you recommend?
thanks in advance
__________________
james_black is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NitroxAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: molonlabeforum.com
Posts: 4,899
Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default

Why are you buying those particular seeds? Are you looking for non hybrid seeds?

__________________
NitroxAZ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,973
Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default

- Seed Exchange - Swap Heirloom Seeds for Free was recommended to me. Not sure if you'll be able to get exactly what you want.

I'd think anyplace that sells heirloom seeds (non-hybrid) should be OK.
__________________
bkt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Why are you buying those particular seeds? Are you looking for non hybrid seeds?

I dont know what non hybrid means. My wife wants to grow medicinal plants and also plants which she can make oil from. Mostly for soaps and house frangance too.
__________________
james_black is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,973
Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post
I dont know what non hybrid means. My wife wants to grow medicinal plants and also plants which she can make oil from. Mostly for soaps and house frangance too.
Actually, hybrid seeds can be fine. It's the genetically modified stuff you want to stay away from. They germinate fine, produce what you want, but the seeds that come off of those plants won't germinate. (It depends on the product, but genetically modified corn is an often-cited example of a Really Bad Idea.)

What you want is a plant that will produce more seeds from which you can get more plants.

Your wife might also be interested in Western Botanicals.
__________________
bkt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NitroxAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: molonlabeforum.com
Posts: 4,899
Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Actually, hybrid seeds can be fine. It's the genetically modified stuff you want to stay away from. They germinate fine, produce what you want, but the seeds that come off of those plants won't germinate. (It depends on the product, but genetically modified corn is an often-cited example of a Really Bad Idea.)

What you want is a plant that will produce more seeds from which you can get more plants.

Your wife might also be interested in Western Botanicals.
+1. Good luck and let us know what you get and where you got them.
__________________
NitroxAZ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 346
Default

We bougth the chamomile, lemon balm and lavender from this place Organica Seed. We went to our local Nursery and bought the peppermint and rosemary. I didnt see in the description if they were hybrid or non.

Thanks for the info on that. We have some spinach that is "seeding" and we look on the envelope and it said hybrid. So I guess we are not saving those seeds for next year.

__________________
james_black is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,973
Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post
We bougth the chamomile, lemon balm and lavender from this place Organica Seed. We went to our local Nursery and bought the peppermint and rosemary. I didnt see in the description if they were hybrid or non.

Thanks for the info on that. We have some spinach that is "seeding" and we look on the envelope and it said hybrid. So I guess we are not saving those seeds for next year.
No, hybrid can be fine. It's GM -- genetically modified -- stuff you want to stay away from. Specifically, strains that are designed to produce food once but which produce no viable seeds.
__________________
bkt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Buying online NGIB General Handgun Discussion 16 05-02-2010 08:27 AM
Buying online through Gunbroker renu1 General Rifle Discussion 7 03-14-2010 05:52 PM
buying ammo online cooley 45'er Ammunition & Reloading 4 11-21-2009 01:37 PM
Buying Magazines Online Blueredgreen NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 1 04-04-2009 09:50 PM