First aid must:super glue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > First aid must:super glue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default First aid must:super glue

Hey everyone just had an idea to put super glue in first aid kit anyone ever used it for cuts? Heard awesome stuff about it for medical cuts

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_c2000
Hey everyone just had an idea to put super glue in first aid kit anyone ever used it for cuts? Heard awesome stuff about it for medical cuts
Yes I have. If you have ever bowled in a league they have something similar to crazy glue, it's called "new skin". It doesn't stick stuff together, but it forms a layer of "new" skin over the area you are protecting.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Keep a tube of it or EMT Gel (same thing) in my training bag and in the truck. Works on dogs for cut pads, lacerations etc. Humans too.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

Liked 45 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_c2000 View Post
We use it to close lacerations in the medical field. We call it Dermabond, but It's basically the same. Works great. I keep some in the truck.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

I trained with Dermabond in my medical training. Superglue WAS used for medical use, but has a higher rate of infection. Dermabond or any other trade name is better.

Also keep in mind. most open wounds DO NOT require stitches, and butterfly bandages can achieve the same thing.. it's simply done to reduce scarring.

Also, make sure you're somewhat competent before you go dermabonding wounds... like the importance of wound irrigation, cleaning and removing foreign contaminants from the wound before you go gluing yourself together.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Liked 515 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Had to use New Skin recently. Stuff looks and works like superglue, except it doesn't last forever. I've gotten superglue on my skin before, stuff doesn't come off until the skin it's bonded to dies. Which can take awhile depending on how much you got on you.

In a pinch, superglue would work but if I was going to have a choice and stock something I would take what is intended for medical use. Thus, Dermabond or New Skin would be a better choice.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #7

Liked 45 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Also, make sure you're somewhat competent before you go dermabonding wounds... like the importance of wound irrigation, cleaning and removing foreign contaminants from the wound before you go gluing yourself together.
Agree. Good advice.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava
Had to use New Skin recently. Stuff looks and works like superglue, except it doesn't last forever. I've gotten superglue on my skin before, stuff doesn't come off until the skin it's bonded to dies. Which can take awhile depending on how much you got on you.

In a pinch, superglue would work but if I was going to have a choice and stock something I would take what is intended for medical use. Thus, Dermabond or New Skin would be a better choice.
Where can I get this dermabond or new skin at

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #9

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_c2000 View Post
Where can I get this dermabond or new skin at
Heck...probably wal greens, rite aid, cvs or whatever pharmacy your region caters to...

Another thing...they're selling quik clot now at sporting goods stores... I know dicks carries it (and they suck, boycott them), so others might carry it too. I would rather have quik clot over dermabond.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Hell, skin is the only damn thing you can count on super glue holding tight for what seems like forever! We used it in the TV Shop when I was an Apprentice and I was forever sticking my fingers together, rip- there goes another layer! Heard once of a lady who got her cheater boyfriend all date rape drugged up and super-glued his bits to his legs, that hurts just thinking about it......

Last edited by JonM; 01-17-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: cleaned up just a bit