First Aid Meds to keep on stock - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > First Aid Meds to keep on stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

anyone know if the blood stop powder you can get for animals would be ok on humans? its like 3 times as much powder for like $20....

Change is not a destination, just as hope is not a strategy. - Rudy Giuliani

Knowing is half the battle. The other half is VIOLENCE.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Benadryl is a good one to have on hand. Good for allergies, allergic reactions, and also works well as a sedative.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin24000 View Post
anyone know if the blood stop powder you can get for animals would be ok on humans? its like 3 times as much powder for like $20....
The quickstop powder for animals is not the same as quickclot by Z-MEDICA. The animal stuff is for bleeding toe nails and slight wounds not arterial bleeding. A good antibacterial agent is SMZ/TMP, it is also fairly good against MRSA(the penicillin resistant staph). I would also keep silver sulfadine wound ointment,betadine solution, benadryl, pain meds of your choice, suture material(a fine monofilament fish line works good), a pair of forceps to pull out foreign objects and use as needle holder for suturing,bandage material,lidocaine, IV set and sterile NaCl, matches or lighter. I think most of this can be purchased OTC or from Vet supply.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Amoxicilin, Keflex, and Tamiflu. Also, some serious pain meds are in order, morphine, oxicodone and Fentanyl. Quick clot is indespesible, but learn how to use it and follow the directions. Other than that, I'd make sure you have the standard CPR barrier mask and assortment of gauze, bandages and maxi-pads.
I would hope that anyone planning on performing any medical procedure or dispensing medication to anyone (especially your own family) get the proper training. Even OTC medications can have significant side effects if not properly handled.

Just like firearms training, first aid/EMT/medical training is invaluable and will allow you to make better decisions and know what to do when an issue presents itself.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

how do u obtain these medical supplies, i wouldnt think a doctor would just hand out anti-biotics, pain meds ect.. just because you askd for them

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
how do u obtain these medical supplies, i wouldnt think a doctor would just hand out anti-biotics, pain meds ect.. just because you askd for them
It's not difficult to obtain them through grey market type deals. If nothing else, there are veterinary equivalents of most human medicines. They don't meet FDA purity requirements, but they'll work just as well. Also, there is a doctor/PA/LPN somewhere near you that is sympathetic to your cause.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Will a doc just had out prescriptions willy nilly? No, However, my doc has known me for years, know that I hike and backpack/camp in very remote areas- and since I have to have blood work every 6 months, pretty well knows that am not abusing them.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #18

Default Many of the meds can be had over the counter

Don't overlook cough and cold medicines (mucinex is WONDERFUL - feel free to buy store brand generic versions); tooth ache / care meds and some kind of burn treatment ( Amazon offers a surprising array of meds, sutures and a plethora of medical supplies - including WaterJel products for burn victims).

Keep feminine hygiene maxi pads and tampons for trauma dressings. The tampons are good to plug wounds, absorb a lot of blood and have a string for easier removal. The small tampons plug rifle wounds remarkable well, and the large tampons work well for large caliber / shotgun slug wounds.

Don't forget some kind of splints, ace-style wraps and a way to stabilize / immobilize fractures.

Do some 'net searches on holistic / herbal medicines and treatments.

Obtain colloidal silver for external antibiotic applications. Neosporin antibiotic cream ( often sold generically as "triple antibiotic ointment" ), as well as cortisone ointments and gels /ointments for a myriad of problems are very inexpensive and will be worth their weight in gold in any true survival situation.

For tooth aches you will want "oil of cloves."

Many remarkable drugs are over the counter now that their patent has worn off ( think Tagamet/cimetadine). These meds work just as well as the new really expensive, prescription only meds, but you can get them without any hassle.

DO BUY A PDR ( Physician's Desk Reference) in hardback. Well worth the money, it lists all medicines currently available in the US with dosing instructions, side effects and contraindications.

Do include your friends in SHTF discussions, because we all have different skills and working in small teams increases everyone's chance of survival. In my circle of friends, for example, are two cattle ranchers, two pharamcy technicians, three Registered Nurses, two Licensed Practical Nurses, several local Law Enforcement Officers, an agricultural consultant who works for the State as a resource for local farmers, and several people with military skills that will be very handy. We try to coordinate our purchases for supplies so that we don't wind up with a hundred tubes of burn cream and no trauma dressings.

There are so many more tips - some common sense and some specific knowledge related to training - that one can't list them all here.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Will a doc just had out prescriptions willy nilly? No, However, my doc has known me for years, know that I hike and backpack/camp in very remote areas- and since I have to have blood work every 6 months, pretty well knows that am not abusing them.
Exactly. I had an Epi-pen prescribed to me to keep in my first aid kit because I was able to explain to the doctor that I would spend weeks at a time in the back country and needed one to potentially save someone's life.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
Yeah, I was interested in these after seeing them for sale somewhere. I'd like a link to them, if someone has purchased them. I forget where I saw them for sale...
you can get them from Cabelas, Cheaper than Dirt, Sportsman's Guide etc.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp