First aid kits
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > First aid kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Default First aid kits

[ATTACH]140389[/ATTAC

I just received my suture kit and oasis disposable skin stapler,I have been trying to think of more essential first aid items to add to my kit and this is what I came up with so far.
What would be a good alternative string to use to stich wounds in lew of actual suture? And another thing besides the basics in a first aid kit what would be a must in your kit?
My goal is to have everything I would need from basic cuts and scrapes to knife and gun wounds and broken bones.
This is going to be my bug out first aid kit and I'm trying to get everything one would need to treat myself and my family.

image.jpg  

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 AM   #2

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I don't consider a minor surgery kit as "first aid".

Quick clot, tampons (good for packing into
Puncture wounds, or for bloody noses). Superglue. Sterile gauze. Some iodine. Ace wraps. Silk tape. band-aids. Surplus battle dressings. Trauma sheers. A couple sets of hemostats. OP airways. Nasal trumpets. A couple of chest seals. Roll gauze. SAM Splints.

Suture material should be sterile, and non porous if you don't have absorbable suture for deep layers. If you are going to try closing wounds, then you need sterile water or saline. Another couple reasons I don't think of surgical supplies as "first aid". If doing minor procedures with a scalpel, you should probably have lidocaine and sterile syringes and needles.

Not knowing your background, I'd have to ask if you have actually done any wound closures, or minor surgeries?

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 03-27-2014 at 04:43 AM.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

good idea for a thread!

subscribed to learn a bit more myself. my first aid kits are pretty basic in nature and it's quite possible i may need to update or expand them to make them more usuable.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 AM   #4

[QUOTE=SSGN_Doc;1541264]I don't consider a minor surgery kit as "first aid".

Puncture wounds, or for bloody noses). Superglue. Sterile gauze. Some iodine. Ace wraps. Silk tape. band-aids. Surplus battle dressings. Trauma sheers. A couple sets of hemostats. OP airways. Nasal trumpets. A couple of chest seals. Roll gauze. SAM Splints.

Suture material should be sterile, and non porous if you don't have absorbable suture for deep layers. If you are going to try closing wounds, then you need sterile water or saline. Another couple reasons I don't think of surgical supplies as "first aid". If doing minor procedures with a scalpel, you should probably have lidocaine and sterile syringes and needles.

Not knowing your background, I'd have to ask if you have actually done any wound closures, or minor

Everything I need is in the books I have and I would rather have the supplies than not. This is a bugout bag I do not plan on suturing or doing surgeries just for fun this Is a bag that will go with us if the shtf.i hope to never have to use it.but I would rather have than not .

Last edited by rifleman1; 03-27-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #5

[quote=rifleman1;1541281]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

Not knowing your background, I'd have to ask if you have actually done any wound closures, or minor

Everything I need is in the books I have and I would rather have the supplies than not. This is a bugout bag I do not plan on suturing or doing surgeries just for fun this Is a bag that will go with us if the shtf.i hope to never have to use it.but I would rather have than not .
The issue is that if you don't know about wound closure, you can actually do more harm than good. Closing a deep puncture wound can be inviting infection. Closing a wound too late may also lead to poor results as can leaving sutures in too long, or not long enough

"First aid" is the sort of stuff you do for either very minor injuries that require little or no professional medical follow up, or are only buying time to get you to professional medical help, usually within hours, or maybe a day or two in extreme situations. Once someone is hurt is not the time to learn suturing. Layered closure techniques, evaluating nerve and vascular damage, administration of anesthesia, inoculation for tetanus, decision making regarding whether to close a wound at all is usually the product of some experience.

American Rescue products has some nice kits that provide most of what you need for basic first aid. They come in wide varieties, to meet needs from very basic small kits for very general first aid to more specific kits for maritime use, to tactical self aid or advanced trauma kits. Looking at their kits should give you some good ideas of what is out there. I had a few different varieties of their kits aboard the submarine. I really like some of their newer battle dressings.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 03-27-2014 at 06:09 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #6

That should be North American Rescue Products.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

I remember cutting myself pretty good one time in my garage. I pulled the skin together and wrapped it tight with some "blue tape" I had handy. When I got to the emergency room to have it stitched up, the nurses complimented me for using blue tape as they said that it was very effective in closing a wound to stop the bleeding and yet it's not too hard to remove.

Ahhh, another good use for blue tape

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Romans 12:18

People Like This 
Old 03-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #8

Quote:
That should be North American Rescue Products.
I'm going to check it out,thanks.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:

Not knowing your background, I'd have to ask if you have actually done any wound closures, or minor surgeries?
You missed maternity pads. I love those things. In my opinion they are more versatile than ABD pads because of their size and shape.

I would carry superglue, tincture of Benzoin, and butterfly closures long before I would mess with a suture kit, and I know how to suture.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You missed maternity pads. I love those things. In my opinion they are more versatile than ABD pads because of their size and shape.

I would carry superglue, tincture of Benzoin, and butterfly closures long before I would mess with a suture kit, and I know how to suture.
Spot on, brother. Anything deeper than what can be taken care of with the benzoin and steri-strips, or superglue, should raise the question of seeking advanced medical care, or if it should be closed at all. Some wounds are better off being left open, and then packed, with daily dressing changes until they close from the bottom of the wound all the way back to the surface. Usually it's a process of weeks, but less likely to get infected or leave bacteria harboring pockets under the surface of a closed wound.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 03-27-2014 at 11:25 AM.
John_Deer Likes This