First Aid Kit List - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > First Aid Kit List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 641 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Doc, with the EXP you bring to the table I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Doc, with the EXP you bring to the table I'll be watching this thread closely. Thanks.
I don't know that I would do that. I have experience with what we carried in the truck, and I know what I had in my trunk bag, but when it comes to bug out kits I'm a babe in the woods. I have my hurricane kit to work with my hurricane plan, and that's it. I will try not to steer anybody wrong, but I'm going to miss some stuff. I may also tend to add stuff that would probably be a waste of space.

I keep thinking about what happens when you take a doctor out of his environment. They get lost without all the help and resources they are accustomed to. Taking me as a paramedic and putting me in a basic life support truck is pretty much the same thing. Now here you guys are, and your even talking about doing away with the truck. How are you going to carry all this stuff? <grin>

Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #13

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
I don't know that I would do that. I have experience with what we carried in the truck, and I know what I had in my trunk bag, but when it comes to bug out kits I'm a babe in the woods. I have my hurricane kit to work with my hurricane plan, and that's it. I will try not to steer anybody wrong, but I'm going to miss some stuff. I may also tend to add stuff that would probably be a waste of space. I keep thinking about what happens when you take a doctor out of his environment. They get lost without all the help and resources they are accustomed to. Taking me as a paramedic and putting me in a basic life support truck is pretty much the same thing. Now here you guys are, and your even talking about doing away with the truck. How are you going to carry all this stuff? <grin>
What's in your hurricane kit? And any info or tips you bring to us are going to be invaluable with your real life experience

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Last edited by improvised_prepper; 05-03-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper View Post
What's in your hurricane kit? And any info or tips you bring to us are going to be invaluable with your real life experience
My hurricane kit list probably won't help you much. We plan to bug out from one area of civilization to a dryer, less windy area of civilization. I have my list of pet friendly hotels located near hospitals that are in towns of 50,000 people or more. I don't carry first aid supplies, but I do carry food and foil for manifold cooking. I also carry water. Lots of water. Then I add more water and some Kool-Aid packages. Water gets really boring after a day or two.

For a good first aid kit you have to know where you might be going and adapt the kit to that. You can break a leg anywhere, but a decent first aid kit will also be stocked for environmental emergencies. There is no sense packing a snake bite kit if being lost at sea is possible, and cold packs are kind of useless during winter in Alaska. If you're sitting on an island in the middle of a fresh water lake you need water purification tools, but in the desert you need water.

Prepare for the things that will take you out of the survival game. Eyes, hands, feet. These are all critical for survival. How do you treat them? How do you protect them? Temperature. You have to maintain your core body temperature. Too high or too low will take you out of the game.

Many people go to great lengths to prepare a kit and some food items, but what do you do if an injury takes you beyond your food prep? Do you know what you can eat in your area? Where and how do you find water? What plants can you eat, and what will kill you or make you sick? What does a brown recluse look like? Is that a coral snake or a king snake?

Your best first aid kit and your best survival tool is located between your ears. If you're making a bug out bag and intend to stay local get with your county extension agent and get the plants and wildlife books for your area ahead of time. If it's a hiking vacation contact that local agent.

Now this one is my personal opinion. I doubt a lot of people are this adamant about it. Every single first aid kit for outdoor use should have something in it that is used for starting wet wood fires. Magnesium shaving kits, fire tabs, fire paste, whatever. If you can't maintain your core temperature you probably won't survive.

Did I see blister dressings in your initial kit?