First Aid Kit List

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > First Aid Kit List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Here is my FAK (first aid kit), I will list the supplies and the pouch it's carried in. My kit is fairly basic with a few, more advanced items. In yours, IMO everyone should have one, you should carry what you know how to use. Having extra stuff that you aren't trained or capable of using will just take up extra space that could be used for stuff that runs out quickly in an event you need your kit, for example; gauze, band aids, tape etc...

image-3196073411.jpg

image-1916603628.jpg

image-3480470629.jpg

image-201343365.jpg

Here is everything as you open the pouch

image-3222265184.jpg
I like to call this area my trauma slot
This holds my:
1- pair trauma shears
4- 4x4 gauze
2- packets of 6 stri-strips (12 total)
4- small occlusive bandages (Tegaderm)
1-large Quickclot
1- ABD pad (1-2 Maxi pads will work)
2- sutures
1- pair of needle holders
1- space blanket
1- pair of tweezers (not pictured- I forgot to pull them out)
1- pen for notepad
1- Swiss rescue tool http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PX0LKG

image-1540214314.jpg
This middle slot holds:
1- bendable splint http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FPGGC6
1- ace bandage
2- triangle bandages
1- notepad
1- bulkee bandage
2- full lengths of koban wrapped around a tongue depressor
1- roll of medical tape wrapped around the same tongue depressor
1- set of bent tip needle holders

image-2190875173.jpg
Last but not least, the boo-boo pouch.
This holds:
Medication- it's running low and needs to be restocked but it will carry:
20 aspirin tablets
10 Benadryl tablets- original
20 acetaminophen tablets
20 ibuprofen tablets
5 Percocet tablets
5 phenergan tablets
10 Imodium tablets

1- performance energy power bar (hypoglycemia)
1- bottle of water purification tablets
5- alcohol wipes
5- bug sting wipes w/ lidocaine
5- antiseptic wipes
10- small bactrim
4- ammonia salts (smelling salts)

That should be everything if you have any input or questions just let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability. I hope this helps!

Edit: I forgot the pouch, it's the Condor Rip-away EMT pouch.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TPNG5E

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Last edited by improvised_prepper; 04-23-2013 at 06:24 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #2

I would also add a 20cc empty syringe to flush wounds, small packets of iodine or an eye dropper full (bigger bottles tend to find a way to bust open and ruin every thing) and some q-tips might be useful.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 228

i am not a prepper, but first aid is a must.
Thanks.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

improvised_prepper Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #4

No problem man, I hope it helps!

Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I'm lost on the ammonia salts. I know of no practical use that you couldn't replicate by elevating the lower extremities. Am I missing something? Can you put it in solution? If so it's great for jelly fish stings.

I would also get a TSA friendly bottle or two of peroxide to go with that 20cc syringe, and knock the 20 down to 2x 10cc. You might also consider some eye wash unless I missed it. Oh yeah. Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. It's better than Mom's spit for minor bites and stings. I think we just went from a belt pack to a carry bag. Sorry.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9171 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Suggestion- tuck contents of each 3rd into a large ziplock baggy. Will keep stuff dry if YOU go in the water. Bags can also be used as a water holder, airtight dressing over a sucking chest wound, or (big enough) as an emergency hat to reduce heat loss from head by a shock victim. Put a pinhole in a water bag, and you can flush an eye with a small, steady stream of water for a long time. Would add couple of fast food packs of salt and of lemon juice for heat injury (electrolyte replacement).

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

improvised_prepper Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
I'm lost on the ammonia salts. I know of no practical use that you couldn't replicate by elevating the lower extremities. Am I missing something? Can you put it in solution? If so it's great for jelly fish stings.

I would also get a TSA friendly bottle or two of peroxide to go with that 20cc syringe, and knock the 20 down to 2x 10cc. You might also consider some eye wash unless I missed it. Oh yeah. Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. It's better than Mom's spit for minor bites and stings. I think we just went from a belt pack to a carry bag. Sorry.
You probably could mix some solution with the salts, I haven't tried. Why would you rather have 2 10cc than 20cc? I would use the syringe and clean water for eye wash, for the sake of space. I'll need to pick up some of that tenderizer, how does that work? Thanks for your input, I'm still trying to maximize the efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Suggestion- tuck contents of each 3rd into a large ziplock baggy. Will keep stuff dry if YOU go in the water. Bags can also be used as a water holder, airtight dressing over a sucking chest wound, or (big enough) as an emergency hat to reduce heat loss from head by a shock victim. Put a pinhole in a water bag, and you can flush an eye with a small, steady stream of water for a long time. Would add couple of fast food packs of salt and of lemon juice for heat injury (electrolyte replacement).
All the stuff that was laid out was taken out of their bags for display, they are about 3 bags in that little mesh pack they have these electrolyte packets that are pretty small I need to throw in

Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper View Post
You probably could mix some solution with the salts, I haven't tried. Why would you rather have 2 10cc than 20cc? I would use the syringe and clean water for eye wash, for the sake of space. I'll need to pick up some of that tenderizer, how does that work? Thanks for your input, I'm still trying to maximize the efficiency.
Your irrigation needs are going to be less than you think. With a 20cc syringe there will be a lot of waste. With 2 10cc syringes you still have 20cc available but you will only have to dirty one syringe if you need less. You can also use one of the syringes as a mini suction to keep a wound clean while you flush it with the other syringe. It helps to see what is still in there.

The recommended eyewash solutions in order of preference are Boric Acid solution, Normal Saline, and water unless the contaminant is a caustic or acid. In that case reverse the order. Realistically, you won't be able to carry enough of any one of them to make a difference on a chemical contaminant. What the Boric Acid is for is more along the lines of grit or dirt. The Boric Acid is also soothing, it's a closer match to the pH of your tears, and if I remember correctly it is isotonic.

For there to be a sting there must be a protein. Adolph's and Mom's spit break down the protein. Mom's spit contains the digestive enzyme amylase. I'm not sure what's in Adolph's, but when mixed into a paste it works great and stays on longer than spit. Yes, you can use spit to make the paste, but it's not needed.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #9

Ohhh ok that makes sense. Very cool! I'll have to pick some of that up. Is "moms spit" just spit or is it an actual product?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Mom's spit was a reference to the miracle properties of your mother's saliva. When mixed with dirt it makes a poultice for stings (amylase). When applied to her hankie it wipes off dirt and treats skinned knees. It is used to remove glue from stubborn labels and to train that stubborn cowlick. About the only things Mom's spit won't do is take rust off a chrome bumper and kill crabgrass.