First aid and the different types of wounds? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > First aid and the different types of wounds?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3238

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
This is the part where you dial 911. Tell the operator what happened and where your truck is parked. Then you pick your friend up and you get back to the truck ASAP. You are in the woods. Nothing around you is sanitary. You pray that God grants you the strength to save your friends live. That is the best advice I can give you.
My friend didn't make it. He had an aorta aneurysm while we were squirrel hunting. I know now that there is nothing I could have done, but I was sure wishing I knew more at the time. I did CPR but I had no clue what was going on other than it was bad.

This is a good thread and hopefully some of you that are much more knowledgeable than the rest of us will expand on it. Every little bit of knowledge helps.

I saw my buddy turning pail and then blue just like someone would from choking. I realize now it was due to a lack of blood circulating and bringing fresh oxygen to tissue. Lack of oxygen can result from a blocked airway, but it can also result from blood not circulating. In my buddies case it was not circulating because he bled out internally from the aneurysm. His autonomic nervous system caused him to gasp for air despite not being conscious but there was no blood to circulate the air in his lungs. The heart stopping would also cause blood not to circulate.

I'm just passing that on to hopefully help others better understand the circulatory system and what happens when it quits.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
My friend didn't make it. He had an aorta aneurysm while we were squirrel hunting. I know now that there is nothing I could have done, but I was sure wishing I knew more at the time. I did CPR but I had no clue what was going on other than it was bad.

This is a good thread and hopefully some of you that are much more knowledgeable than the rest of us will expand on it. Every little bit of knowledge helps.

I saw my buddy turning pail and then blue just like someone would from choking. I realize now it was due to a lack of blood circulating and bringing fresh oxygen to tissue. Lack of oxygen can result from a blocked airway, but it can also result from blood not circulating. In my buddies case it was not circulating because he bled out internally from the aneurysm. His autonomic nervous system caused him to gasp for air despite not being conscious but there was no blood to circulate the air in his lungs. The heart stopping would also cause blood not to circulate.

I'm just passing that on to hopefully help others better understand the circulatory system and what happens when it quits.
There is absolutely nothing you could have done. Almost always these situations are fatal, even if they happen on the operating table during open heart surgery. You could not have even eased his pain really.

Hope it didn't ruin squirrel hunting for you.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
dango Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker

Less than 1 in 5 people who are in the hospital survive a massive aortic rupture.
Without trying to be calloused I think it is a good way to die if you are doing what you love when your time comes. The Vikings would say it is good to die with a sword in your hand
Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1499 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 3238

He went the way he would have wanted to go, in the woods with his rifle slung across his back. He just went way to soon and left to many behind. And it didn't ruin squirrel hunting for me. I decided this year to go at least once a year and kill everything that moves in remembrance.

I know there's nothing I could have done, but that experience showed me just how unprepared most of us are for emergencies. And how little we understand about how the body works, and what happens when it isn't working. So anything that anyone can add about serious injuries and treating them will be appreciated. Calling 911 would be ideal but that isn't always an option.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #15

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
He went the way he would have wanted to go, in the woods with his rifle slung across his back. He just went way to soon and left to many behind. And it didn't ruin squirrel hunting for me. I decided this year to go at least once a year and kill everything that moves in remembrance.

I know there's nothing I could have done, but that experience showed me just how unprepared most of us are for emergencies. And how little we understand about how the body works, and what happens when it isn't working. So anything that anyone can add about serious injuries and treating them will be appreciated. Calling 911 would be ideal but that isn't always an option.
Yikes!

Had a friend die from a self inflicted GSW to the right temple when he dropped a .22lr revolver. I now own it and keep it as a treasured possession. Some might say its wrong but...

No one here is looking for how to CURE severe trauma. We are looking for ways to buy as much time as possible. With a sucking wound, can I use my hand to help by covering it? As an example.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

dango Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Yikes!

Had a friend die from a self inflicted GSW to the right temple when he dropped a .22lr revolver. I now own it and keep it as a treasured possession. Some might say its wrong but...

No one here is looking for how to CURE severe trauma. We are looking for ways to buy as much time as possible. With a sucking wound, can I use my hand to help by covering it? As an example.
A sucking wound should be sealed, plastic cling wrap (like Saran Wrap) works perfectly. You want to prevent any air from being able to enter the chest cavity as that prevents the lung from inflating properly.

Seriously, take some first aid classes. I have taken some from the Red Cross that were very helpful. The Mountaineering First Aid class is top notch, given a good instructor. Here is a link to the syllabus. http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Product.aspx?uniqueitemid=543

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

What vikingdad said...... Occlusive dressing taped down on three sides to buy time for emergency services...

image-1078205187.jpg

Old 02-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #18

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
A sucking wound should be sealed, plastic cling wrap (like Saran Wrap) works perfectly. You want to prevent any air from being able to enter the chest cavity as that prevents the lung from inflating properly.

Seriously, take some first aid classes. I have taken some from the Red Cross that were very helpful. The Mountaineering First Aid class is top notch, given a good instructor. Here is a link to the syllabus. http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Product.aspx?uniqueitemid=543
It was a rhetorical question but...yea, thanks anyways

I was trying to steer the conversation away from the severe sarcasm...at least I got that much achieved...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

dango Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3455 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 19280

That's it , seal the wound and seek help cause you have know way to know how bad he's bleeding other than pulse a heart rate.!Heart rate is important!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Having personally treated over 75 penetrating chest traumas I stand by my initial answer