Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > FIRECRAFT (FTF Bushcraft School Lesson 1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Heck yeah BB! That is awesome! Congrats!!!

I tried for hours to get a big enough spark off a rock to get the char cloth started but just couldn't get one.

You da man!!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #62

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I just got a couple of knives, so I am behind in this class (just like old times). It will be a while before I can get out to do the fire and all, so I will just do the work at my own speed and pay attention here when I can. Plus, as hinted earlier in this thread. I hope this does not turn into a competition. I realize that for some, that is impossible.

Thanks for the priceless info, Francisco!

mora.jpg  

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #63

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Heck yeah BB! That is awesome! Congrats!!!

I tried for hours to get a big enough spark off a rock to get the char cloth started but just couldn't get one.

You da man!!
I'm getting the feeling that luck played a major part, but I'll take what I can get.

And thanks.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #64

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I just got a couple of knives, so I am behind in this class (just like old times). It will be a while before I can get out to do the fire and all, so I will just do the work at my own speed and pay attention here when I can. Plus, as hinted earlier in this thread. I hope this does not turn into a competition. I realize that for some, that is impossible.

Thanks for the priceless info, Francisco!
Luck you Skully......mine are still in the mail and won't be her before I leave!! I can' believe SG shipped UPS to Portland then USPS to Florence!! It is like they made an additional effort for this to take as long as possible. It took three days to get out of Minnesota!! My last order from SG, and I know there are some loyal buyers out there but they (SG) wouldn't even work with me on this!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #65

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Luck you Skully......mine are still in the mail and won't be her before I leave!! I can' believe SG shipped UPS to Portland then USPS to Florence!! It is like they made an additional effort for this to take as long as possible. It took three days to get out of Minnesota!! My last order from SG, and I know there are some loyal buyers out there but they (SG) wouldn't even work with me on this!
Sorry to hear, dunner. I ordered mine friday or saturday evening. They got here with some other stuff yesterday. I found out that they are now using "best ship" method, which sucks. I have a USPS PO Box, but my UPS shipping addy is different. I had to have the wife go to the Post Office to alert the Postmaster that stuff will be coming to the post office for an address they don't deliver to. I don't know why SG can't just stick to UPS. I have literally ordered thousands of dollars worth of stuff through them over the years, and I have never had any issues with them. Now, when I order, the Postmaster has to be alerted...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #66

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am also getting a very late start on this. My non-engraved knife arrived yesterday (tip of the hat to JD). Gotta get a nice pretty edge on it, get some paracord for a lanyard, etc. I've got a Light My Fire, but will be searching for some rocks.

I'd also like to wait until I've got the fire going before I make the charcloth. Kinda seems like putting the cart before the horse. Hopefully I'll play catchup and make fire using both charcloth and the firesteel, and the rock/spark method.

Kudos to you who have had success. Extremely encouraging and warming to the soul!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #67

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I know I'm a little behind, been in NYC working since last week. Anybody got a not so ****ty job for not so ****ty pay in the NE they can give me? Numero uno on my list of activities this weekend is to get out with my knife, play with it and put her to the test - see if I can reinvent fire!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #68

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I received my non-engraved knife today as well so I too am behind.

I will soon start learning to make fire as well.

I have a handmade magnesium fire starter I bought from a fine gentleman on another forum, but I'm going to look for some rocks.

Thanks to everyone who has put this together.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #69

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Ok, the wife brought home the camera from work last night, the rain stopped around here today and the wind is blowing with frequent gusts (welcome to Oklahoma). I reconed around the yard for awhile and found a sparkable rock in my wife's rock garden. I gathered up some nice dried out banana leaf fronds for starter tender, some dried branches in the wood pile for kindling I was gonna burn anyway, and set them all up in an old tray, in order to shelter it somewhat from the wind.

I already prepared some char cloth using a cloth strip from an old BDU top. It took me approximately 10-12 minutes to get a usable spark ember to catch the char cloth. The wind did the rest, while I somewhat sheltered it and tried to take the damn pictures.

Picture #1 - Gathered materials.

Picture #2 - Char cloth.

Picture #3 - My sponsors.

Picture #4 - Sparked ember to char cloth.

Picture #5 - Char cloth catching and igniting.

Picture #6 - Smoldering and help from the wind.

Picture #7 - Success!

Picture #8 - Indeed!

1-gathered-materials.jpg   2-char-cloth.jpg   3-my-sponsors.jpg   4-ember-char-cloth.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 09-03-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Damn Spelling

Old 09-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #70

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Continued from above....

5-char-cloth-catching-igniting.jpg   6-smoldering-help-wind.jpg   7-fire-success.jpg   8-indeed.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”