FIRECRAFT (FTF Bushcraft School Lesson 1) - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > FIRECRAFT (FTF Bushcraft School Lesson 1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

So on our last trip to the mountains we took a hike that ended up much more rugged than expected. The SO found this branch to help in getting down the trail that was slide on your azz steep. She brought it home and asked me to clean it up and make a walking stick for her. I would normally grab a saw and a hasp to smooth out all the outgrowth branches but given our bush craft endeavors I Carved it all clean with the new Mora. A little light sanding to clean and 2 coats of Varathane and it looks pretty good.

camera-016.jpg   camera-017.jpg   camera-018.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #52

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

What JDP says is true, got reamed for the smell.

So I get my charcloth to the burn pile, gather leaves, some twine I had from mat cutting, and some dead branches.

0902101023.jpg  

Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #53

My charcloth came out uneven, with some brown spots, but I figured WTH, let's run, nothing's perfect.

I picked up some rocks at the park, beat them silly with my knife, till I found one that seemed to produce a spark.

Got home, and spent an hour beating the f******g rock. I was about to admit defeat and get a gas can, when I saw the tiniest ember, moving in a line across my cloth. Alot of gentle puffs, alot of weird stares from the neighbors. A leaf started to catch....

0902101014.jpg  

Old 09-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #54

^^^^^^^^

See the little red dots? That, ladies, is the color of success.

(Homoerotic Bushcraft Description below)

So there I was, on my knees, puffing for all I was worth, gently, as I didn't want to ruin the fire I had stated with my vigorous strokes. As the embers inside grew, I soon had an all engulfing flame.....

0902101021.jpg  

Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #55

^^^^^

I'm fortunate enough to have a burnpile out back. I try to burn all of my boxes and paper products, you can see leftovers of DMD boxes and charcoal in the perimeter.

Yet, for all the years I've done that, I've never started a fire in this fashion, and I have to tell you, it was frustrating as hell, until it worked, and then it became one of the most satifying experiences of my life.

I'm ready for the next evolution, Master Chief Instructor!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #56

Major respect for the Benning. fire from a rock!
I'm going to try finding a sparking rock in the mountains this weekend, but I'll be OK if I can get the flint stick I bought to work for me.

On a side note the girlfriend saw me doing the fire thing so I had to explain FTF bushcraft school. She asked if I wanted her to sew me a sash to pin my merit badges to. Once I stopped laughing I was properly indignant.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #57

Let me offer this, I don't know if it has been made clear, get all your stuff together and at hand.

My leaves start going, and my sticks are on the other side of the yard. I'm running back and forth with a scary sharp knife, because I left the sheath on the porch. After an hour of rock beating, any small sign of success had me running around like a maniac, "NEED STICKS NOW, DAMN, NEED MORE LEAVES!!!"

Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #58

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Congrats Benning......you made...FIRE!!

Imagine what an endeavor that would have been with the wind blowing 15-20 mph or the rain drowning everything you collected to burn. It is a wonder mankind survived!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Let me offer this, I don't know if it has been made clear, get all your stuff together and at hand.

My leaves start going, and my sticks are on the other side of the yard. I'm running back and forth with a scary sharp knife, because I left the sheath on the porch. After an hour of rock beating, any small sign of success had me running around like a maniac, "NEED STICKS NOW, DAMN, NEED MORE LEAVES!!!"
I really did get the campfire merit badge so I know a lot of that stuff. But even my task master of a troop leader let me have one match. I'm sure He's laughing his azz off now watching me beat rocks together.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #60

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'm getting a late start on this, but want to thank Francisco and everyone who is participating and contributing to this endeavor. This is the best thread, ever.

As a life long backpacker/outdoor enthusiast/hunter I have had my share of hypothermic, near death lessons, so this will be a great learning experience.

I will be out "rock hunting" this weekend, and playing catch-up.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."