FIRECRAFT (FTF Bushcraft School Lesson 1) - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > FIRECRAFT (FTF Bushcraft School Lesson 1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^^

Now that right there is worth the price of admission any day of the week. Good stuff dad! *respect*

JD

Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 AM   #12

I didnít have time to go out and find tinder as Shihan did (Good on you though, your boy will remember it forever!) so I just crumpled up some toilet paper and used a cheap flint and started a fire! First fire I have ever started without a match or magnifying glass, the serrations I filed into the Mora worked excellent!
Francisco, I have read dozens of survival books, but this is more like hands on experience with your knowledge, wit, and humor thrown in as a bonus.
Thank you!
Gordo

Last edited by Gordo323; 12-27-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

My goal was to do this bigger and better than everyone, and Shi just crapped on that plan.

Well done. Good to see this is bonding more than just forum members, the kid is gonna remember that for life.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:38 AM   #14

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I just finished summer term and need to get the knife from JD. Hope to send out the check tomorrow. Then I will play catch up. I watched The Road last night and feel more than ever that I need to get all survival things together.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #15

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have such a smart lil man. I am so proud of him. I think he will know how to take care of his mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

For emergency para cord I will suggest surval straps made of para cord. Survival Straps - Paracord Survival Bracelets, Lanyards, Belts and Accessories... Be Prepared! they have belts, bracelets, slings.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Alright! Here we go!!

Started looking for rocks, found a few, but cant get any sparks yet.

I'll try more tonight, me beating two pieces of iron pyrite together here at my desk is kind of loud, dont want to distract others.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default It works!

Whoo Hooo!

This is awesome, I finally got some sparks!!

Here is a picture of the 2 rocks I used.
rock.jpg  

Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Thank you Francisco, this brings back such great memories.
Cane, I know you've got a lot of outdoors skills and knowledge. Feel free to jump in and add anything you feel could be useful.

I'm glad you're enjoying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I told my son about what we were going to be doing, big mistake. He wouldn't stop asking me to start the fire. Thanks for sharing all the great knowledge.
Shihan, this has to be one of the coolest posts I've seen on this forum. Way to go, mate!

We'll cover tinder bundles (what your son saw Led Stroud use on Man vs Wild) and other stuff like feather sticks after we go over a couple of friction methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo323 View Post
Francisco, I have read dozens of survival books, but this is more like hands on experience with your knowledge, wit, and humor thrown in as a bonus.
Thank you!
Gordo
Thank you for taking part in this project. I'm happy you're finding it useful. For some extra challenge, try using a rock to get sparks from the knife instead of the firesteel.

Nice job with the notches on the spine of the Clipper and the orange paracord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerShootinGal View Post
I have such a smart lil man. I am so proud of him. I think he will know how to take care of his mommy.
You should be proud, most kids his age would rather be playing video games or watching TV. He might never need to start a fire with flint and steel, but I feel that bushcraft's lessons are deeper than the skills themselves. It's all about the pride of self reliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Whoo Hooo!

This is awesome, I finally got some sparks!!

Here is a picture of the 2 rocks I used.
Well done, it takes some people quite a bit of time to get sparks. With practice you'll be able to tell which rocks in your area work best. If you crack the rocks to expose sharp edges you might get even better results.

Guys, thanks for the posts and photos. I love seeing so many people interested in this. Just remember to complete this lesson's assignement! Charcloth is an easy to make item that you'll find quite useful.

I'm going to copy the assignment here for ease of reference.

Homework!
This will be the first assignment for our little course. Don’t worry, we’ll keep it simple. Here’s what I want you to do.

•Make some charcloth. It doesn’t need to be charred cotton cloth, play around and use whatever tickles your fancy. As long as it can be used to catch a spark and glow into an ember without disintegrating in your hands, it’s good. If you’ve got the time and prefer to do it, go hunting for some natural tinder. Try to find true tinder fungus or something similar that grows near you.

•Find a rock hard enough to get sparks from your knife.

•Successfully strike a spark onto your charcloth and gently blow it into a small ember.

•Pictures of any part of the process would be greatly appreciated.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Epic Almost - A near miss and a need to practice

So, it would appear that the first few of you guys missed the point of this exercise, which was to create your own charcloth. And, it's a good think that this was the test, because you all kicked my ass in fire.

So, here is the tin I picked up at the store. Pretty basic. For this first one I decided to do it on the stove, so that I could compare "cook times". I set the burner to "3" and let the tin sit. After about 20 minutes, I checked it, it wasn't done. I checked it at 30 minutes, again at 40 and at about 45-48 minutes ( I kind of lost track ) it SEEMED like it was the right texture that Francisco was talking about.
img_6468.jpg   img_6469.jpg   img_6470.jpg