Firearms related survival/ shtf questions - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Firearms related survival/ shtf questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 348 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 69

[QUOTE=NC1760;1398795]I'm sure GTX was talking interms of "at home" supply to keep on hand... which would make sense... but for a "bug out" situation??? You have to be reasonable. This "We're gonna go out into the hills/woods/desert and live off the land and form a resistance" is more or less a fantasy.... No matter what you see on "Doomsday Preppers".
QUOTE]

Yes, I was referring to what I keep on the shelves in my gun room. We are in the country, so we wouldn't be bugging out anywhere. I'm not putting three kids, a wife and dogs on the road. If things ever get that horrid, then I'll die in my bed, or close to it.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
I'm sure GTX was talking interms of "at home" supply to keep on hand... which would make sense... but for a "bug out" situation??? You have to be reasonable. This "We're gonna go out into the hills/woods/desert and live off the land and form a resistance" is more or less a fantasy.... No matter what you see on "Doomsday Preppers". If you're going to bug out, take only what you need to get to a safe local... You know, your bug out TO location, which should have the extra rounds....and food... and medical... and water. Otherwise.. hunker down where you are, circle the wagons with family and the neighbors... ride it out (if you can). Now BigBizz... Just how tall are you?? Bet you can bench your own weight....
Depending on your area and definition of SHTF, it may not be possible to remain in your home. Lots of people have had to leave their homes in the south during hurricanes, and looters and anarchists are a very very real problem in that situation. It's not something they usually show on the news, but it happens, and things get serious FAST.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #33

I agree, and partially why we chose to live in our location. We're 7 miles from the nearest town (2000 pop), 20 miles from the county seat (11K) and 70 miles from the nearest city. I can live off my land and support my family; I'm too old to live of the land and start from scratch.
bluez Likes This 
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Better to have many small stashes of ammunition spread out over your area than have it all in one spot. No?

Like what if your house or the entire neighbor burns down due to a gas line etc while u r at work?

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 10-15-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1295 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Apart from springs, firing pin, and bolt, make sure you have spare lube.

Not having lube will stop your AR from running faster than fatigue issues that occur over time with springs/bolts/firing pins. I like high temp bearing grease. It doesn't burn and it doesn't run off.

Get chrome silicon springs, if spring fatigue worries you.

You'll know what tools you need by assembling a firearm or taking it apart.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah I never leave home without spare lube. Going in dry can cause serious problems in the mechanics of your firearm.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1886 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Better to have many small stashes of ammunition spread out over your area than have it all in one spot. No?

Like what if your house or the entire neighbor burns down due to a gas line etc while u r at work?
There's an old saying that applies here "Never put all your eggs in one basket."

Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Yeah I never leave home without spare lube. Going in dry can cause serious problems in the mechanics of your firearm.
Could chafe the bore.
DeltaF Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #39
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
That almost sounds "pernographic"

But all kidding aside. Everyone assumes a "leave your premise" situation. And "everyone mostly" it seems, thinks that you all have "AR's". My only "AR" is a 9mm....and my 223/ 5.56 is a Mini( the rest of my long guns being 30 cal..) so unless all your pals are equipped the same as you, all you can do is share common ammo...
Our bail outs are packed with different items for different situations, with that I will say I'd rather stay here then split...
Minimum cleaning package for long term away from the "home base" at best: bore snake, some patches, and a large cleaning shammy cloth...small amt of oil...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 10-18-2013 at 07:48 AM.
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
That almost sounds "pernographic" But all kidding aside. Everyone assumes a "leave your premise" situation. And "everyone mostly" it seems, thinks that you all have "AR's". My only "AR" is a 9mm....and my 223/ 5.56 is a Mini( the rest of my long guns being 30 cal..) so unless all your pals are equipped the same as you, all you can do is share common ammo... Our bail outs are packed with different items for different situations, with that I will say I'd rather stay here then split... Minimum cleaning package for long term away from the "home base" at best: bore snake, some patches, and a large cleaning shammy cloth...small amt of oil...
When I roll out long term I pack as many of my guns and as much of my ammo as I can into the vehicle before my wife starts throwing bags of useless items like outfits and hair straighteners in there. I have most of my ammo packed into duffel bags and backpacks, (makes range trips a breeze and I'm never out of ammo). So it's actually pretty easy to get the jump on her.

If I ever have to quickly bug out, I have a bug out bag ready with stuff for me and the kids and enough ammo to get me through a day or two of serious SHTF. But the wife? I'll have to steal some of her clothes, toss them in the jeep, load the kids up and then drag her out of the house by her hair. Literally.

She lives up to and exceeds every movie stereotype of a woman excessively packing and taking forever to do it. And the knowledge if an angry mob heading towards the house would motivate her to pack MORE. Not less.