Firearms related survival/ shtf questions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Firearms related survival/ shtf questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post

Now BigBizz... Just how tall are you?? Bet you can bench your own weight....
I'm just north of 6 ft, weight bout 210 ish. I Work for a food delivery company that supplies restaurants I stock refrigeration trucks 6 days a week so "I pick things up and put them down" don't have time to bench press anything lol

Work Hard Play Hard

Last edited by BigBizz87; 10-12-2013 at 03:59 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #22

Liked 673 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBizz87 View Post
I'm just north of 6 ft, weight bout 210 ish. I Work for a food delivery company that supplies restaurants I stock refrigeration trucks 6 days a week so "I pick things up and put them down" don't have time to bench press anything lol
Well there you go... as your mantra says "Work hard, play hard"...
But for some of us old folks we're a little slower, creakier and have to pace ourselves according to the laws of aging (those *&^%$@ laws!!)

For me it's about distribution of gear weight through years of hiking, camping and streamlining. I will say this... The gear available (packs, fire starting, water filtering, med kits, shelters, etc.) has gotten considerably better and lighter since I was younger.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #23

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post

Well there you go... as your mantra says "Work hard, play hard"...
But for some of us old folks we're a little slower, creakier and have to pace ourselves according to the laws of aging (those *&^%$@ laws!!)

For me it's about distribution of gear weight through years of hiking, camping and streamlining. I will say this... The gear available (packs, fire starting, water filtering, med kits, shelters, etc.) has gotten considerably better and lighter since I was younger.
I can totally understand what u mean I have a nice bag set up for just survival/hiking trips in true mountains has all those things in it + food, my second bag is loaded with all firearm related items such as ammo, spare parts, mags, cleaning supplies.

Things of that nature I will be able to carry on my own while survival bag is carried by a family member if any situation arises that we gotta get outta dodge we should fair pretty well for a few weeks

Work Hard Play Hard

Old 10-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 388 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Take a spare firearm.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 585 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 3377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
So you expect to need 1000 rounds during a short term bug out?
Why not?

If you have the room and can carry the extra weight with little issue, then why not?

Short term bug out doesn't mean that the SHTF is over with and everyone can return home and resume life like before.

It means going from your home to a secure lodging, and hopefully to a more permanent (as well as secure) lodging. Unless you can guarantee a resupply will happen during this move, it's better to take what you can, when you can.

Honestly, depending on where you live, and whether or not animals are contaminated with something, better to stock up on other items and kill a rabbit or deer (or something else). Fresh meat while on the move is much more important. Some extra rounds means you can have enough for protection as needed, as well as gathering food.

However, if you are traveling in a group (say, family and very close friends), some of them can carry a few rounds here and there without breaking their backs.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 10-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Speaking from experience, for short term with an AR15 I carried 7 extra mags. Plus a Glock and 2 extra mags for backup.

With having to bring food, water, other gear and clothing, much more ammo than that would be in the extremely uncomfortable range. Especially when wearing body armor.

Now granted there was a LOT more than that in the vehicle.....

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-13-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #27

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60

Will definitely need a lower parts kit. A extra bolt, gastube, an depending on how much u plan to shoot maybe a extra barrel too. You can never have enough extra parts!!
Oh let's just tell him. You should probably just have an extra AR15

Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #28

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Again all joking aside you can only reasonably be prepared for <most> eventualities. trying to prepare for all is a set up for failure.

If you carry just
- a spare firing pin and
-a complete bolt (not BCG!) and
-maybe a small travel bottle of CLP w/ a toothbrush for rifle cleaning.

That is your 85% solution at minimum weight.

Anything extra is unlikely to be needed within a couple thousand rounds, which is all even the strongest of us can carry on a hike.
No need even for a complete cleaning kit w/ rods. your barrel if it starts out clean will be fine for a couple thousand rounds.
You moving parts even with a rudimentary toothbrush clean/wipe and some lube will be fine almost indefinitely.

Many folks want to carry a gunsmith's shop but that extra weight is not realistic and better used for food, water, ammo.

I am not even sure I belive in the back-up piece" philosphy.
because that PoU comes out of the SWAT and security contractor community who have all the water, ammo, spare parts they need in their van juts a few yards away form their point of operations.

The weight/bulk on my pack a spare pistol take is better occupied by water or ammo or more agility due to lighter load.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Firing pin (probably the most easiest to break [from what I have seen your flavor may vary]), springs, extractors. I would keep these for both guns. You also need to keep solvent and oil to maintain the guns. Run good ammo through it as well, this will make sure you are not overworking your firearm. The gas keys for ar 15 rifles seem to hold up well, but that all depends on what bolt carrier group you buy (stay away from cheapos.)

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #30

Liked 223 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 41

double post

Last edited by GTX63; 10-14-2013 at 11:40 PM.