Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Firearms related survival/ shtf questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/firearms-related-survival-shtf-questions-98520/)

BigBizz87 10-11-2013 01:07 AM

I have a few questions I'm looking to get some help with.

1) I own an AR15 and was trying to figure out what parts I should keep spares of that will be a must have for keeping it running properly in a shtf scenario.

2) Same as the first question but for my HK USP 40.

3) Lastly wondering what tools I should have incase of work needing to be done on either of these firearms I've already asked about.

Any Info/Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

MisterMcCool 10-11-2013 01:11 AM

Springs. Mostly springs.

magnumman 10-11-2013 01:15 AM

Extractors, springs, maybe a spare firing pin.

SSGN_Doc 10-11-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBizz87 (Post 1397971)
I have a few questions I'm looking to get some help with.

1) I own an AR15 and was trying to figure out what parts I should keep spares of that will be a must have for keeping it running properly in a shtf scenario.

Firing pin, spring set, bolt.

2) Same as the first question but for my HK USP 40.

Recoil springs

3) Lastly wondering what tools I should have incase of work needing to be done on either of these firearms I've already asked about.

Workbench, vice, action block, barrel block, armorers wrench torque wrench, punches, screw drivers, pliers, hammer.

Any Info/Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hope that helps out.

NC1760 10-11-2013 01:18 AM

Patches, Qtips... bore snakes...and Ballistol.
Tools.. an AR wench, allen set, screwdriver with changable tip, bore light.

BigBizz87 10-11-2013 01:27 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies with great info as always.

I'm online shopping for spare parts as we speak already have a spare spring kit and firing pin for the AR with cam pin and 2 sets of gas rings.

Seems like a spare bolt and extractor is next thing to get along with recoil springs for the USP

BigBizz87 10-11-2013 05:15 AM

One more question. What's a reasonable amount of ammo to have stored away for shtf not includeing ammo I'd be planning on shooting off at the range I currently have 500 rounds for each put away in a BOB any opinions other then "as much as u can" ;)

bluez 10-11-2013 05:32 AM

In the Ar 15 the primary wear items are :

- Firing pin
- bolt
- gas rings on bolt
- extractor

I keep in my AR grip on most of my ARs 1 firing pin, 1 complete bolt ( which of course includes gas rings and extractor)
Never wore out any springs yet with shooting more ammo than a man can carry in SHTF.

Come to think about it, the ammo it takes to wear out a newish Firing Pin and bolt is also more than a man can carry but flukes do happen on occasion.
I have considered buying this http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/17/pid/25862/JP_AR15_Enhanced_Bolt_Assembly_for_AR_15

And then save the weight of carrying an extra bolt

bluez 10-11-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBizz87 (Post 1398206)
One more question. What's a reasonable amount of ammo to have stored away for shtf not includeing ammo I'd be planning on shooting off at the range I currently have 500 rounds for each put away in a BOB any opinions other then "as much as u can" ;)

I have a rule of thumb that I believe adjusts for the different prices of different calibers (for example no one will stash 500 rounds of match quality 50 BMG that are worth $5000 that would be too much and no one will make do with 500 rds of 22LR either for a 22LR MP 15 gun):

- Stash approx the amount of ammo that is equal in price to the value of your firearm.

I think that works well for most as a reasonable goal and gets us away form the "as much as possible" since we all have lives and budgets.

JW357 10-11-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBizz87
I have a few questions I'm looking to get some help with. 1) I own an AR15 and was trying to figure out what parts I should keep spares of that will be a must have for keeping it running properly in a shtf scenario. 2) Same as the first question but for my HK USP 40. 3) Lastly wondering what tools I should have incase of work needing to be done on either of these firearms I've already asked about. Any Info/Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBizz87

The only thing you need in these situations is one very pointy tin foil hat.

All else fails, the hat will save your life.