Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fire to the west, south, and heading this way!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #21
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 3535

Default Mandatory Evacuations of Los Alamos area.

Just heard it on Fox News and an article on the Drudge Report.

Los Alamos evacuation ordered because of wildfire

News from The Associated Press

Authorities ordered Los Alamos evacuated Monday as a fast-growing and unpredictable wildfire bore down on the northern New Mexico town and its sprawling nuclear laboratory.

The blaze that began Sunday already had destroyed a number of homes south of the town, which is home to some 12,000 residents. It also forced closure of the nation's pre-eminent nuclear lab while stirring memories of a devastating blaze more than a decade ago that destroyed hundreds of homes and buildings in the area.

Los Alamos County fire chief Doug Tucker said the blaze Sunday night was the most active fire he had seen in his career, forcing residents near Cochiti Mesa and Las Conchas to flee with "nothing but the shirts on their back."

He said at 44,000-acre blaze had destroyed at least 30 structures but it wasn't clear how many were homes.

The fire has the potential to double or triple in size, Tucker said, and firefighters had no idea which direction the 60 mph-plus winds would take it.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #22
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

U.S. Government site, almost real-time Thermal IR Satellite heat detection around the fire.

GeoMAC Viewer

Zoom in to New Mexico and click the Active Fires menu on the left .... then turn on the Modis Thermal Satellite checkbox and you will see that indeed the fire is moving.

Also, under Base Data, select Street Map for better view of the land area.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #23

Most of AZ's fires are now out or fully contained and coming through Bisbee AZ this evening on my way home, it rained a little, ok, it spinkled a few drops and there are Monson clouds building up south of us in Mexico, so maybe we're out of it for this fire season.

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It actually tried to rain here last night too yesterday, but all it did was make a mess of the cars. Hopefully monsoon season will start soon and the fires will die out.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #25
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
I can see the fire at Santa Fe from my loft windows in Rio Rancho. The AZ fires are still blowing smoke up our way and it smells like were camping. I hope everyone will stay home until the rains come. They even have fire restrictions out at the gun club. No open fires and no smoking. I don't know about shooting my Mosin-Nagant with the big fire ball. Fire in Amarillo TX got with in 2 houses of Mom and Dads place. Keep the SW in your prayers and thoughts for RAIN.
This is from Albuquerque main website. "The City of Albuquerque and Bernalillo County have implemented a complete closure of the Bosque and Rio Grande Valley State Park and all Open Space areas."

The Albuquerque Shooting Range State Park is part of Open Space. No rain, no range time!

Facilities Map - Open Space - City of Albuquerque

Fire Danger Closes Bosque, Other Areas - City of Albuquerque

http://www.kasa.com/dpps/weather/wildfires/total-bosque-open-space-fire-closure_3863643

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 06-29-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Prayers and kind thoughts continue for folks in the Southwest.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Nm fires

BigCountry02 thanks for those updates. I see the Pacheco fire in my loft windows and the Los Conchas in the bedroom windows. It's getting real dry and yet they continue to sell fireworks. I live in far NW Rio Rancho and last night was busy with fireworks. I don't use the city range. I get a membership to Del Norte Gun Club for my Christmas Present every year. We will host the State shotgun meet in 2 weeks. I sure pray for rain before all them folks head out there. Couple of friends have now lost their cabins and BOL up above Dixons. Now authorities are worried about radioactive smoke from Las Alamos. I have decided to get a BOB ready, never thought I would leave the house before. 5 P's people, papers, prescriptions, pets and pictures.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #28
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
BigCountry02 thanks for those updates. I see the Pacheco fire in my loft windows and the Los Conchas in the bedroom windows. It's getting real dry and yet they continue to sell fireworks. I live in far NW Rio Rancho and last night was busy with fireworks. I don't use the city range. I get a membership to Del Norte Gun Club for my Christmas Present every year. We will host the State shotgun meet in 2 weeks. I sure pray for rain before all them folks head out there. Couple of friends have now lost their cabins and BOL up above Dixons. Now authorities are worried about radioactive smoke from Las Alamos. I have decided to get a BOB ready, never thought I would leave the house before. 5 P's people, papers, prescriptions, pets and pictures.
No problem. Heard on KOB 770 that Smith's has stopped selling fireworks. There is a push to stop the sale of fireworks for the 4th. Alot of folks are not buying based on the weather.

We do not get rain/moisture or anything wet from the sky it is going to get alot worst.

Add (Food, Water, Ammo, Weapons, and Other Supplies) to the 5 P's.

I called the City Range, closed until the city says you can re-open. No ETRO (Estimated Time of Return to Operations). Caliber's is too expensive for a membership and once and awhile shooting practice adds up; plu I prefer outdoors.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7789 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Make that "Six P's" with Provisions being the last of them.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 5 Ps

The five Ps are for a fire emergency 30 seconds to GOOD BOB. Everything else is in their BOBs. Oh heck, My garage is full of Bobs. And I have my travel trailer prepped as a Bob On wheels. The Wife said I have OCD on SHTF. But I know she likes the extra security it provides our family. I joined the local CERT team 8 years ago and I have the Go Bag they gave me ready also. Nice to have the FEMA DHS RRDEM ID. And that was all free.