Fire to the west, south, and heading this way!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fire to the west, south, and heading this way!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fire to the west, south, and heading this way!

We have a large and dangerous fire in our area. Started on the Mexican border and is heading toward a city of 50,000, a major military base and has already taken, as of yesterday, plus forty nice homes and well over 10,000 acres.
Today, it blew over a major road, away from the mountians and headed into a highly built up area.
Local officials called for an area with about 2000 homes to run!
I'm sitting 300 yards from the mandatory run area, just north of it and we're fine, for now.
Tomorrow, we'll see.
I work 50 miles from the house, a normal 45 minute drive, this is Arizona
Took me nearly three hours to get home due to traffic heading away from where I was going. Was nearly hit twice, as people got crazy, motor home drivers more worried about their RVs than people.
One guy with a huge boat, tore down his gate and fence as he raced out heading north without slowing down. That boat will not float with the hole in its side!
When I got home, my wife had both trucks pulled up to the carport, bags were packed, all important papers in the truck, cat carrier, and the Rottie were ready to go.
We stood there and watched the neighbors racing away and after it got quiet, took a look at the fire to our south, checked the wind direction and decided to go in and take a look at the TV.
Fire was headed AWAY from us. It was close by, but it was being pushed AWAY from us.
As she made dinner, I knocked down some dry grass in one of the pastures with the tractor, set up a spinkler system to wet down the south side of the house,and turned on the Braves game.
Saw panic today!
Saw people in full me, me, me, state and it was ugly.
Got a call from a young man (200 miles away) who grew up near us, worried about his parents. Said he spoke to them, and their TV was going in and out and they didn;t own a radio and the one in their car did not work.
Assured him, if I left area, they would leave with my wife and I. Checked on them, they are elderly, and said, if I show up, be ready to jump in and we'll
move out.
The older gentleman asked if I knew the Braves were beating the Mets, assured him I did
Checked on a couple more older couples, they were fine, talking about everyone running away in a panic and wondering where in the hell all of the boats came from.
All of the older folks were listening to the radio, watching TV, and checking the wind direction, ready to move out, IF they had too.
All had weapons at the ready, had their papers, food packed, their bags packed and many commented, it was not good to run with the mob, better to wait a little while, check things out, gain a little information, and then proceed with a plan.
Don't get me wrong, if fire is coming up the lawn, its time to run.
But running because everyone around you starts to run, is not a good thing.
All of the older folks around us, that stopped, looked and listened and also checked the wind direction for themsleves, are ALL retired military.
And all of us are sleeping in our own beds tonight, dreaming where in the hell all of the boats came from.
Tomorrow the winds will return, say a prayer for us, might get ugly, we'll see. If we need to leave area, we have a plan, will leave together, and will leave no one behind!

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #2

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Best of luck to you and hope it all works out good

Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1824 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 3744

They are saying 50+ mph winds, no moisture or rain in the forecast.

Local news:

Fire danger closes much of Sandia Mtns

Fire danger closes much of Sandia Mtns. | Albuquerque, N.M. | KRQE News 13

The Stage Three fire restrictions take effect Monday at 8 a.m. and cover the entire Sandia Ranger District except specific trails, roads and recreation sites. Popular areas remaining open already are under Stage Two fire restrictions which prohibit fires and smoking and allow only cold picknicking.

Also banned is dispersed day use and camping along open Forest Service roads and State Road 165, which runs from Placitas to near Sandia Crest.

The closure is in effect until Oct. 31 unless it is rescinded early, according to the order signed by Cibola National Forest Supervisor Nancy Rose.

Officials worry about potential fires near Bosque

Officials worry about potential fires near Bosque | KOB.com

Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I can't do much from here, but you and yours are in my prayers.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #5

Default sit/rep

The fire took more homes today, about 7 or 8 up on the hillside.
More wind tomorrow and Sunday expected to be the make or break with 50 MPH winds.
Everyone south of us are barred from going home and are being turned around by BP acting as local police.
Survival update/comments:
Rumors are running faster than the fire on the winds.
Information is hard to come by.
And that which is coming out, is suspect.
Kinda like the weather girl who reads that it's raining outside, and everyone outside looks up at clear blue sky!
Traffic is a nightmare.
As in most survival situations, its the panic in the people who are far more dangerous.
Hotels are all full.
Cell phones are not working well due to the increased demand.
And the Braves lost to the Texans tonight!

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I will keep you and those in your area in my prayers.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1824 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 3744

Default Santa Fe Forest Fire

No moisture and nothing but very dry timber and brush. This is not good!

Local news is reporting the following:

Luna Evacuated; New Fire Near Santa Fe

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2011/06/18/news/breaking-luna-evacuated-new-fire-near-santa-fe.html

The town of Luna is under mandatory evacuation, according to InciWeb.

The evacuations began around 3:15 p.m. as a precaution as firefighters continue to battle the massive Wallow Fire, which has jumped containment lines on U.S. 180.

Air resources being used to protect Luna have been grounded because of high winds.

Meanwhile, a new fire broke out Saturday afternoon in the Santa Fe National Forest northeast of Santa Fe.

The fire in the Pacheco Canyon started around 4 p.m. Saturday, and its plumes could be seen from Santa Fe and Interstate 25 north of the city. That fire is burning on 20 acres, KOAT-TV reported.

Wildfire Sparks In Santa Fe National Forest

Wildfire Sparks In Santa Fe National Forest - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque

Wildfire Reported In Pacheco Canyon - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque

Old 06-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Stay safe guys. Prayers on the way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8115 Times on 4687 Posts
Likes Given: 10477

Hey, I know it's too late for Yellowhand at this point but after a few close calls a few years ago I invested in Barricade Fire Gel Home - Barricade International

I have enough to cover all of my buildings and I have the equipment in place to apply it quickly with help (two sons, two laborers whose homes are also protected). I have two gasoline powered water pumps just in case they shut off the power, I also have a genny to power the house water pump and 10,000 gallons of water storage available for fire protection (attached to the hydrants and pumps.) Beyond that I have another 6,000 gallons available but not hooked up to the same system (sort of redundant, but not quite yet).

I also brush out 100+ feet away from the buildings so there is a defensible perimeter 360° around them.

The Barricade was just another extra measure that I thought was prudent. Take a look if you think (and perhaps even if you dont) that wildfire is a possible SHTF scenario.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8115 Times on 4687 Posts
Likes Given: 10477

I forgot my manners! My prayers are with you and the folks you are helping Yellowhand. Don't let your guard down and bug out if necessary before it's too late.