Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fire building, what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if I'm hiking and going to camp that night I just take some wet stuff early in the morning and stuff it into any dry pocket i have and it's usually dry enough to start fires. The best way i've found is to take twine (like fiberous) soak it in candle wax and put it into a pill bottle. It burns for a while and will put out a big enough flame to help start fires easily.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Michalik View Post
Here's another idea:

Take a piece of cardboard about 2" wide by 24" long, roll it up as tight as you can and tie a piece of string (or wire) around it. Then take your candle wax and pour over the entire thing and let it soak in.
Boy Scout Fieldbook suggested that, only the rolled up cardboard was placed in an empty tuna can as an ersatz replacement for a sterno can. The empty tuna can would also help retain the wax as it cooled.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #13

Liked 373 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 1027

cottonballs saturated in petrolium jelly wrapped in aluminum foil tear open the foil pulla small amount of the cotton through the tear light like a candle uyou can carry several in a pack very light weight and one will burn for several minutes.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
cottonballs saturated in petrolium jelly wrapped in aluminum foil tear open the foil pulla small amount of the cotton through the tear light like a candle uyou can carry several in a pack very light weight and one will burn for several minutes.
Yep, these are one of my favorites. Although i have been known to use a highway flare to start camp fires when there wasn't any small tender around to get going first and the larger wood was all wet after days of rain.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Boy Scout Fieldbook suggested that, only the rolled up cardboard was placed in an empty tuna can as an ersatz replacement for a sterno can. The empty tuna can would also help retain the wax as it cooled.
ya no offense but when I was a scout I found the hand book to be pretty much useless on somethings such as fire making. The newer version actually has more useful info in it.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Check your local milsurp store for ration heating tablets. Known as Trioxane, each bar (pale pruple/blue solid about size of small candy bar) is a solid fuel. Sort of like hard gasoline. On its own, will boil a canteen cup of water, 1/3 of a bar will heat a can of beanie weenies.
They have little 'stoves' made for them (they're shaped like this... [____] and you put the bar in the bottom and pot on top). When they're folded up (sides will fold in with bar in place) they're about the size of a Sucrets <sp> box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Flame is barely visible, and HOT. I use them for never fail fire starters.
If you lay a pop can on it's side over the flame where the pot should be, it will melt the can. Just sayin'
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
ya no offense but when I was a scout I found the hand book to be pretty much useless on somethings such as fire making. The newer version actually has more useful info in it.
No offense taken, but are we talking about the handbook or the fieldbook?

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #18

To much stuff to carry. all the little nice to have things, will fill up your Ruck,,

matches are good,, but have a few BIC lighters too,

start fires the old Boy scout way,, small tinder,, working up,, and you can still get a fire going,,, in texas the cedar trees,, are very flamable,, and they grow like weeds,

I'm sure you can find a plant like that,, if you look it up, someplace,, and you don't have to carry it.

Jim

Author of: The 3 Gun Multi Gun Report
morrisammo.com

Old 05-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I have a box of wooden matches and some paper towles vacume sealed in a Food Saver bag, that I carry in my hunting pack. I always figured if I got wet or lost it would be enough to start a fire.

This year I'm going to make something like that, that can go in a Sucrets can, in my pocket. Some times I drop my pack off under a bush or something and come back to it, when I want to move quicker.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #20

I did 20Yrs in the Army, I always had the stuff in my pockets,
Bic lighters,, (I don't smoke), 550 cord, gerbertool, a small maglight, a pen and notebook.

In my ruck, I had 2each Ponchoes, with 12 feet of 550 cord on every eyelet. yes that is alot of rope! when the rain comes,, houchman,, !!!

a poncho liner, (the whooobie) a change of cloths, socks,, that stuff in a dry bag, , wet weather gear, top and pants! don't forget the paints! canteen,, a canteen cup,

I got stuck, in a bunch of places, having that stuff, at the very least,, is a good idea,

jim

Author of: The 3 Gun Multi Gun Report
morrisammo.com