Father and son winter time weekend
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Father and son winter time weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Default Father and son winter time weekend

I didnt know where else to put this.

I did not know my father when I was growing up. So the only childhood memory I have of a father and son type of thing was when my grandfather set up a tent trailer in his back yard. One time when I was about 7 or 8 my mother took my twin sister and I to my grand partents house for the weekend. The women stayed in the house. But my grand father and I spent the night in the tent trailer in the back yard. I am now 45 years old. But it is still a vivid memory. One of very few from my childhood. I still remember the battery powered plastic lantern sitting on the table. I bought a similar lantern when I saw it in the store.

Anyway, I want my son to have memories that I do not. Just about every Saturday night we have a camp out. We have been doing it for the last 6 years. Sometimes we take the camper and go somewhere. Sometimes we just sleep in it in the back yard. We like to sleep under the stars on cots in the back yard when it is warm. But on a cold winter night we often set up camp in the living room. we stay up late watching tv and telling jokes.

Here is a pic of last nights camp. LOL

Do any of you have a regular father and son night like this?

dsc00470.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 11-18-2012 at 01:20 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #2

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Don't mean to brag, but being a single Dad with temporary full custody for now, and very likely going to be permanent, every waking moment he's not in school is father/son time.

He does miss his Mom, but neither of them have really shown any interest in wanting to see each other. He never asks, nor does she.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7146 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Rick, you are a smart man. Those memories will last a lifetime and it is a great way to bond.

I was a single Mom raising two boys and a girl. Their Dad had visitation and really didn't do much more than he had to. Same with money. He paid child support but never a penny extra. When I'd ask for help with special activities he'd tell me, "That's what child support is for." *shrugs*

Anyway, we didn't have much money to take vacations but we did take day trips to museums and such. One of the things we did that the kids liked best was camping in the backyard. I had a cheapy tent I got from WalMart and we'd set it up and sleep in the backyard. I'd tell them "spooky stories" and we'd burn a fire in the burn pile and have hot dogs and s'mores. I didn't know much about camping but we had a great time.

There was a lot of things we could do with little or no money. We'd go fishing, walking through the woods, sledding, flying kites. Another favorite was tying a string to a cheap $3.00 toy boat meant to be used in a bathtub and stand downwind at a pond and let the wind blow the plastic boat waaaay out on the pond. Then the kids would reel it in.

Truly, "Life's simple pleasures are the best."

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-21-2012 at 08:06 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

There's nothing more important than family, and of course spending time with them. Many of us get so caught up in money and material things that we loose sight of that. The only material things that matter are food, shelter, and clothing. If we have those necessities and family then we are blessed.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

"Just about every Saturday night..." Where's Mrs. 1967 during all this!? That kid may end up going from the cot right to the psychologist's couch.

"And how did that make you feel Rick Junior"?

I'm just sayin'.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Wow man way to fart all over his parade. I think thats great that you have father son time every weekend. Very important.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7146 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
"Just about every Saturday night..." Where's Mrs. 1967 during all this!? That kid may end up going from the cot right to the psychologist's couch.

"And how did that make you feel Rick Junior"?

I'm just sayin'.
The Mrs. was probably in the house, painting her fingernails, watching some chick flick and happy to have some time to herself.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8185

Rick, Trip, and WOC, thank you for sharing.

My step daughter's father has always put her on the back burner as far as time together goes. That is why I make time to spend it with her, doing something we both enjoy. One of our best memories so far was a turkey hunt we went on last month. It was nice to have her all to myself for the day, and it was a lot of fun. We didn't get a bird on that hunt, but the look on her face when I called on in just after legal shooting light said it all.

She turns 16 in February, and I know that we are down to the last of our time together. Pretty soon comes graduation, jobs, life in general. Her mother and I try to make the best of the time we have left with her here, and we hope that she will do the same when she has children of her own, and that she will remeber these memories long after we are gone.

I still, 8 years after her passing, miss my mother, and I still miss the hunting trips of my teens with my dad (he quit when he had a car deer accident, and had to watch the deer die slow. I don't blame him). That is why I spend time with her now. I hope she can look back 20 years from now, and still remember the memories fondly. If I'm still around, I know I will.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Rick...that's some great stuff there and I'm sure your son will remember it fondly for the rest of his life. One of the most rewarding things to me as a father is having my daughters, now 24 and 21, reminisce about all the crazy and silly times we spent together when they were younger.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington