Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Faraday Cage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 635 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Interesting. I am speaking from an EMP type scenario, rather than a nuclear type radiation. (Although I am aware that nuclear events generate EMP.) As to the copper cost - not as bad as one might think. We use copper sheet at work, and while expensive, would not break the bank in small quantities. I am assuming a small container for things like a replacement computer for your car, CDI's for small engines, FRM radios, ect. Maybe 18" square. Now, if you wanted to do a whole room, all bets are off unless you have VERY deep pockets.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Interesting. I am speaking from an EMP type scenario, rather than a nuclear type radiation. (Although I am aware that nuclear events generate EMP.) As to the copper cost - not as bad as one might think. We use copper sheet at work, and while expensive, would not break the bank in small quantities. I am assuming a small container for things like a replacement computer for your car, CDI's for small engines, FRM radios, ect. Maybe 18" square. Now, if you wanted to do a whole room, all bets are off unless you have VERY deep pockets.
Just wondering, what is producing your EMP type scenario, if not a nuclear explosion or a severe CME event?

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/test184.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/110302-solar-flares-sun-storms-earth-danger-carrington-event-science/

Jimmy

Make sure your not someone's PITA....

Hope for better, prepared for worst...

Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #23

Well from what I've heard, nuclear explosions could be one of the (most likely?) causes. BUT as I understand it, it would involve detonations very high up, like almost in space......so, there wouldn't be the typical radiation problem that ground level stuff produces. Also as I understand it, the bombs are tuned to produce more EMP than anything else. It's possible I'm getting the issues confused.......

Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Well from what I've heard, nuclear explosions could be one of the (most likely?) causes. BUT as I understand it, it would involve detonations very high up, like almost in space......so, there wouldn't be the typical radiation problem that ground level stuff produces. Also as I understand it, the bombs are tuned to produce more EMP than anything else. It's possible I'm getting the issues confused.......

That is correct. An airburst from a substantially high altitude would be devastating. Most nuclear exchanges that were planned during the cold war era included EMP detonations. The quickest way to make the country being attacked helpless is an EMP strike. Luckily MAD kept us from that.

A CME is a likely source for an EMP event too.

Jimmy

Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #25

Not familiar with what CME means.......

Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #26

Liked 60 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Not familiar with what CME means.......
CME = Coronal Mass Ejection - That's the sun spitting plasma out into space, sometimes toward Earth; a solar flare gone wild.

If it is Earth directed, the ejecta causes a disruption of the electrical and magnetic fields surrounding the Earth. If it's strong enough, it can black out radio, induce electrical current on any long metal things (power wires, pipelines, railroad tracks ...).

A real good place to watch & learn about this stuff is spaceweather.com or Space Weather Now (http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/ ). They'll show you when aurora is occurring, comets, asteroids, solar events, moon events, atmospheric stuff (spaceweather.com is very good at explaining this stuff).
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #27

Oh yeah, OK. I read somewhere that this happened in the 1800's, and if it had happened more recently, we'd have been, ummm, screwed.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #28

Liked 60 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Oh yeah, OK. I read somewhere that this happened in the 1800's, and if it had happened more recently, we'd have been, ummm, screwed.
It happens all the time, with increasing and decreasing frequency (and random intensity) that tracks the sunspot count. We are about 75% towards the top of the 11 year sunspot cycle which should peak approximately mid-year 2013.

There are some links on spaceweather.com to other sites that have articles and explanations.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I posted the link to read about the Carrington Event.

Jimmy

Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #30

Cool, will go back and read.