Faraday Cage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Faraday Cage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Faraday Cage

Since grounding is a big issue with a Faraday Cage, I was wondering if you could wire up a custom AC power cord that only has the third green wire hooked up, connect it with a big ol' ring terminal to the cage, and plug it into any outlet in the house. Is that a reasonable solution?

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter
Since grounding is a big issue with a Faraday Cage, I was wondering if you could wire up a custom AC power cord that only has the third green wire hooked up, connect it with a big ol' ring terminal to the cage, and plug it into any outlet in the house. Is that a reasonable solution?
Grounding is not necessary for a Faraday cage; the metal is a better path than air and guides the field around the contents.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 694 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
Grounding is not necessary for a Faraday cage; the metal is a better path than air and guides the field around the contents.
I'm not sure about that. Check out
http://www.endtimesreport.com/faraday_cages.html

As for the question…it would depend on the integrity of the ground wires from the outlet back through the main breaker box out to the power company ground. Some unknowns there but a possible solution. The thing is, shielding for RF is an iffy thing. Because of the short wavelength a ground wire can actually act as an antenna under the right conditions. The ground needs to be as large, as short and as direct as possible.
Google 'Faraday Cages.' There is lots of info there about this subject.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2125 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Your best bet is an independent ground rod if you have good mineral content in the soil. I have had to dig a trench and run a bare ground cable when I could not get a sufficient ground with a rod. Sand can be iffy.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6326 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 6815

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Your best bet is an independent ground rod if you have good mineral content in the soil. I have had to dig a trench and run a bare ground cable when I could not get a sufficient ground with a rod. Sand can be iffy.
Ive built these for our scientists in our BIO labs, they have dedicated Grounding systems in the labs so its not an issue. The ground lug in your outlets isnt a great place to grab ground, they are often noisy and in older homes, very unreliable. The impedance is just as important as the pathway.

The reference to the Grounding is a very important factor in the use of a Faraday cage, I agree a well placed (Damp, minerals, deep) ground rod with a dedicated strap is best. Also, the perforations, mesh in the cage should be as small as possible to minimize penetration of Higher Frequencies. I use copper cloth, its expensive and easy to solder directly too but is nearly impenetrable.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #6

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
its expensive and easy to solder directly too but is nearly impenetrable.
Did you mean it's INexpensive?

12FRETTER

Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6326 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 6815

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
Did you mean it's INexpensive?
Unfortunately its not cheap to buy woven copper fabric but it is pretty much impervious unlike most other materials that cross conduction isn't so guaranteed. We use smaller versions for monitoring brain waves, Signals so small that any stray RF in the room would register.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Short answer: yeah, it'll work OK if your ground on your outlet actually goes to ground. Grounding usually isn't difficult. If you're in an apartment, that might be a different deal. Buy an outlet tester and confirm ground really goes to ground. If it does, modify an extension cord and you should be OK.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #9

Liked 1036 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 679

If it were me, I'd put the cage in the basement, drill a hole thru the concrete floor the size of a grounding rod, pound it into the ground under your house, and attach a big cable directly to it.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
If it were me, I'd put the cage in the basement, drill a hole thru the concrete floor the size of a grounding rod, pound it into the ground under your house, and attach a big cable directly to it.
Right, me too. But if you're living in a 5th floor apartment you might be limited doing something like that.