Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Fall Preps? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/fall-preps-97423/)

TLuker 09-21-2013 11:31 PM

Fall Preps?

I was just wondering if any of you do any seasonal prepping and if so what do you do for fall?

Personally, I was thinking this would be a great time to start rounding up stuff for winter. I always keep some cold weather stuff in my BOB in the winter. This would be the time to put that stuff back in the bag.

Pasquanel 09-22-2013 12:19 AM

I'm getting the firewood in for the winter, closed the pool, till the garden, lime the lawn and.........You know it would be a lot easier to move somewhere warm :p

jtill 09-22-2013 12:30 AM

Lets see I got nasal spray and allergy medications. Still not ready.

SRK97 09-22-2013 12:35 AM

Picked up 2 flannel shirts at a thrift store if that counts

mountainman13 09-22-2013 12:41 AM

I got wood.

c3shooter 09-22-2013 12:42 AM

Firewood. Make sure the chimney cleaner has been and done his thing. Glass in for two storm doors (old style, screen in summer, glass in winter). New air filter and oil change for leaf vacuum. Lime and fertilizer for lawn. Verify scope data on deer rifles. Check fuel supply for generator. Jon boat will be going under cover for winter, but will still be using into early November.

TLuker 09-22-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasquanel (Post 1379435)
I'm getting the firewood in for the winter, closed the pool, till the garden, lime the lawn and.........You know it would be a lot easier to move somewhere warm :p

It wouldn't be that much easier. You have nice summers and miserable winters. We have nice winters (most of the time) and miserable summers. It all evens out.:)

rockratt 09-22-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Firewood. Make sure the chimney cleaner has been and done his thing. Glass in for two storm doors (old style, screen in summer, glass in winter). New air filter and oil change for leaf vacuum. Lime and fertilizer for lawn. Verify scope data on deer rifles. Check fuel supply for generator. Jon boat will be going under cover for winter, but will still be using into early November.

fire wood for the mancave( shop) until I picked a block up wrong so now suffering with a sore back.

Mouser 09-22-2013 02:35 PM

Most likely trouble in this part of the country in the winter is the all too common ice storm. Three years ago, ice knocked my power out two days beginning on Thanksgiving. Last winter, we lost power for a week beginning Christmas day. A heat source, fresh water and high energy food is the primary concern. Water became a big issue as the municipal water supply ran low too so flushing a toilet was out of the question. I have been resisting buying a generator, but am losing the argument to my wife...guys often lose arguments to their wives so I think I am in good company! :)

eatmydust 09-22-2013 02:57 PM

I can't imagine arguing against buying a generator. I love the fact that when the grid is down, we still have refrigeration, lights, freezers working, hot water, forced hot air heat, TV/internet and ceiling fans. The only thing my 5k generator won't run is our A/C. We had it hooked into our whole house wiring after Hurricane Floyd in 1999, one of the best preps we have ever done.