Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Fall Out Shelter in your basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fall Out Shelter in your basement

I may be building a house in a few years. I have thought about putting a fall out shelter in the basement. I am thinking of a sort of "panic room" type place that would be full of supplies.

I live in a rural area I wonder if fall out protection would be worth it. If radiation gets to where I am at we are probably all toast.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am far from any kind of expert on this, but my opinion is that fallout is just that: particles falling from the sky. It is the dirt, dust, and debris from a nuclear explosion. The main thing would be to stay indoors. Any basement would be better that 1st or 2nd stories. Even going outside for short periods runs the risk of tracking the dirt back into the house. Supplies are going to be the key and water the critical piece.

Being rural is a plus, but the wind can carry the dirt a long way. Without a detector you have no way of knowing how dirty the area is.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You're starting to weird me out a little.... I understand wanting to take care of yours but do you really need a safe room? Who are you hiding from?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
You're starting to weird me out a little.... I understand wanting to take care of yours but do you really need a safe room? Who are you hiding from?
LOL, maybe I have watched too much science fiction.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
LOL, maybe I have watched too much science fiction.
Have your watched Red Dawn this week?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Have your watched Red Dawn this week?
Not this week but several times, you know you can pee in your radiator if you really need to..... I loved the show Jericho when it was on. I have always like post apocalypse movies and TV shows.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Read the "Ashes" series by William Johnstone.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #8

I don't think our problems are going to have anything to do with radiation. The crash of our economy is a much more of a threat than any nuke. It probably will be fighting off the libbies who didn't prepare one little bit. Which is good, when they come to my house for food, I will help them out. All the lead they can eat!

Sorry, but they will deserve what they get. I have a basement full of food, water, guns, ammo, and everything it will take to survive. I even have seeds for a 2 acre garden for long term survival.

They laugh at us for being prepared. You watch how violent they become when TSHTF. Just like the rodney king thing. I was there during that. The libbies were the first ones running to the gun stores to get guns. I was laughing my ass off when they were told there was a 15 day waiting period. I loved it. Oh, that waiting period that they all voted for. Dumbasses!

Never forget 911

When you think of your freedom. Thank a Veteran!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7569 Times on 3297 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

A fallout shelter and a bomb shelter are 2 different critters. Fallout is dust that has been made radioactive for a brief time. It can travel several STATES from point of origin- check prevailing winds, see what is upwind of you. Yes, have had a fallout/ storm shelter for a long time. Yes, you need a radiation meter. Yes, they are fairly cheap (I paid 10 bucks for a surplus Civil Defense Victoreen radiation meter- runs on 1 D cell, has a remote sensing head and 25 ft of cable) You not only need supplies (food, water, etc) for a couple of weeks, but a way to filter air, and pump air into your shelter. Check the publications from the US Govt, and find a paperback copy of "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing. PS- yes, I also own my own MOPP4 gear.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fall out shelters? Has this country regresses to the rampant paranoia of the fifties when everyone and his brother were building bomb shelters? Have people subscribed to the manufactured fears promulgated by the media and the right wing oracles of doom? Who do we have to arm ourselves against? Certainly there are bad guys out there but what are the chances that one might run into one? For too damn many years I worked the mean streets of a major metropolitan center and yes there are real dangers lurking around every corner that a person is wise to protect him or herself against there. Out side of places like that violence is a random act and the average citizen’s chances of encountering it are minuscule. At the age of 72 what I fear most is the malignant stupidity that engulfs this nation today. I also fear the drunken drivers and the Dirty Harry want-to-be who insists on carrying a hand cannon as they go about their daily lives. I fear those who believe, deep in their hearts, that everyone else should think, believe, live and act as they do.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel