Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The Fall of Detroit?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 907 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1495

Default The Fall of Detroit?

A coworker was commenting on a recent news story. Apparently the city of Detroit decided to let old abandon buildings burn rather than put out the fires. My coworker's comments reminded me of a documentary that showed some of those old abandoned buildings before they were abandoned. Many of them were grand and beautiful places 50 years ago. Today, I couldn't help but to wonder if that's what the fall of Rome looked like? I also couldn't help but to wonder how many other city's will share the same fate?

There are ghost towns that resulted from running out of natural resources like gold or silver, but I can't think of anything like the decline of so many cities in the "Rust Belt", other than the Fall of Rome. I also can't help but to think the trend is going to continue. I figured GM was on the way out when it announced Oldsmobile was going extinct. It only made sense that rest of the corporation would go the same way since the same people that ran a once great company like Oldsmobile into the ground were the same people managing the rest of the corporation. Now I'm thinking the same thing about the rest of the country. Are the people that run all of the other industries and city/state governments any different than those in Detroit?

So is this what the decline of an Empire looks like, or is Detroit and the Rust Belt an anomaly?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

"All good things must come to an end" is just the first of many phrases that come to mind.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
10-32

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Every great civilization throughout history has fallen.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #4

Liked 16783 Times on 9730 Posts
Likes Given: 43815

even Rome fell! and they one of the biggest empires in the world.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #5

Liked 1752 Times on 801 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Detroit has had a democrat for mayors since 1962. So for the last 50 years Detroit has been crumbling under democrat rule, anybody see a correlation?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Detroit has had a democrat for mayors since 1962. So for the last 50 years Detroit has been crumbling under democrat rule, anybody see a correlation?
The United States will follow Detroit's path if we don't steer it now.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom

The United States will follow Detroit's path if we don't steer it now.
Agreed. The time to act is now and if we don't, our nation is doomed to suffer the same fate as so many others.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The citizens of this once-great nation are too bipolar to change the course of internal destruction. Corporations got wind of the deterioration of country's education system and bailed for the strengths of smarter nations.

Look at me, when I am naked I am an American; when I am clothed I am a Chinese; when I am eating I am Brazilian; when I am watching TV or listening to the radio I am Japanese; and when I drive my car I use Arab oil.

I am a man of many nations other than the nation I live in.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #9

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Detroit has recieved mega bailouts to help with this problem, more proof that said bailouts didn't work as we were told. Detroit was made by the industry that surrounds making cars. The libs have been running the show there for years as well as the unions. This is what happens when they are in charge folks.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

Liked 500 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 106

{sigh}
I've lived in Detroit area for most of my life. The problem is a multi faceted complex issue, but will add that Detroit (aka the economic engine) has tended to be a bell weather for the entire country... But I digress

Two big issues have driven Detroit's issues.

1. the union stranglehold on the city's workers with ridiculous work rules and absolutely no incentive to do things better or faster. I remember my ex father in law trying to sell his home and the city's inspector visiting the house 4 times to approve, JUST THE FURNACE. He didn't have to pay for each trip, only the low $20 inspection fee, but they sure made it worth their while to keep coming out.

2. Detroit is actually a small portion of the Metro Detroit area. The surrounding suburbs expanded unmitigated, financed by the state and feds. Commonly referred to as white flight. The area expanded out more than the population required, with the population in the city significantly dropping, while the services did not.

With all this is going on, the city kept borrowing to meet their budgets, the fraud went on steroids, tax paying citizens kept moving out, schools got worse... etc. It is in a downward spiral that has led to a popular reverend making the very public statement, we will burn this city to the ground before we allow the state to take over.

Closed Thread