Expiration dates ? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Expiration dates ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I eat canned food past the due date. Most were okay. I use canned evaporated milk for baking and cooking and that does get 'icky' after a while.

Once I was cleaning some pantry shelves I have in the basement. There was a can of tomato soup that had an expiration date on it of "Jun 06". I was pretty 'stupid' that day, I guess, and it was October so i thought, "Okay, it's only four months overdue." I took it to work and ate the soup. Then I got to thinking, "Waaaiiit a minute. That's June 2006, not June 6th.!!!! It was October 2010. The soup was 4 years overdue and though it didn't taste as good as a fresh can of soup (it was tomato soup) it really wasn't bad and I didn't get sick. I mostly ignore the expiration dates except for the canned milk, which turns yellow and chunky.

Also, expired boxed baking items, like corn muffin mix or cake mixes, won't rise if they are much beyond expiration date. The baking powder or baking soda or whatever in them gets too old to do it's job.
lol...... old men.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........