Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Expiration dates ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
you can also plant them (even tho they're prolly hybrids )
No kidding? I did not know that....that's cheap seeds/food! Excellent dual use!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #22

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

In his book, About Face, Col. Hackworth tells the story of being served outdoors turkey for Thanksgiving that was deep frozen in like 1946 and made its way to Vietnam in like 1968. He said it was just fine although his unit, just back from a long patrol, was forced to attend a USO show right in the middle and come back and finish eating outdoors in a monsoon.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6636 Times on 4015 Posts
Likes Given: 7883

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I was just wondering about this today at the supermarket. I looked at a variety of canned items, and all the dates seemed to be around 2 years out. Half of that for boxed items. What about other things? Jerky? Dried beans?
Yeah, dried beans last a very long time.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1717 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Default Dried beans........

Quote:
I was just wondering about this today at the supermarket. I looked at a variety of canned items, and all the dates seemed to be around 2 years out. Half of that for boxed items. What about other things? Jerky? Dried beans?
Jerk and beans go to gether..... But most of the thyme the jerky will be eaten before the beans. The bad part of storing beans or corn is those damn mealy bugs. They will ruin your stash......Lest we for get, dried beans were a staple of the people heading west........salted pork fat was also added to the list.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #25

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
No kidding? I did not know that....that's cheap seeds/food! Excellent dual use!

yessir. take a handful of dry beans and check them over, make sure none are cracked, split, or broken.

next, take 4 full sized paper towels off the roll and divide into 2s. wet each pair, and squeeze out the excess. it doesn't have to be wet, wet, just damp.

then, place a double-layer into a flat-bottomed container: plate, large bowl with flat interior, or whatever. place each bean onto the first 2, damp paper towels about 1/2-inch apart.

now, take the second set of damp paper towels and cover the beans. put in an inconspicuous/undisturbed place that gets light: sunlight, fluorescent light, or incandescent.......it doesn't have to be 24/7.

try and keep the ambient temperature above 80 degrees, and check daily. keep the top towels damp with a spray bottle of water.

as soon as the beans start to sprout, place them into a small container of soil or in the ground.

a great indoor planting pot is a piece of SCH 40, 2-inch PVC with a "FLAT" cap on the end (a rounded cap won't stand up.) the overall length depends on you, but i would suggest a minimum of 2 feet. this gives the root system the ability to grow downward, because it can't grow outward. this type of planting pot works best with plants that have little to no lateral root movement, but have more of a taproot. with a little ingenuity, you can grow plants in tight spaces, with little soil. you DO, however, need a supply of food for them.....be it organic or inorganic. BE CAREFUL THOUGH! either of these fertilizers will severely burn a plant if too much is added. the planting container is so small and confined that it ONLY takes a pinch every 14 days.

FORGOT TO ADD: drill a few holes above the cap to drain excess water. it can be recycled and used again on the same plant, AFTER you dilute it with 2 - 3 times as much water tho.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-30-2012 at 02:43 AM.
willshoum Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #26

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
OK, I've now tried both drinking coffee made from running cold tap water over beans as well as shaking a hot cup of fresh coffee vigorously for a while. Neither seems an improvement on the taste of my old-fashioned drip coffee. In fact, one was little bland whilst the other was a painful mess and what was left tasted about the same as usual to me but was lukewarm...

NOW what am I supposed to do?

PS: I thought my goldfish might appreciate the results from this oxygenated water technique as well. I mean, he is sipping water all the time, right, so I'd prefer it tastes good to him (her?). Plus he doesn't seem very bright so I thought there might be a colatteral benefit. Well, I don't know if he likes the taste any better but he seems dopier than before. Should I have taken him OUT of the bowl first do you think?
Especially i you are gonna drink the water. YUCK!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #27

Liked 813 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
The bad part of storing beans or corn is those damn mealy bugs. They will ruin your stash......
So how do you prevent this from happening? Do they get in from outside your container, or are they already there? If they get in, would sealing the container tight prevent it? Or how about flooding the container with Nitrogen? (NitroPack)

Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #28
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
The bad part of storing beans or corn is those damn mealy bugs. They will ruin your stash......
I haven't had a problem with mealy bugs in dried beans but I have had a problem with those moths in flour type things in the hot summer.

I actively feed outdoor birds and sometimes get moths in the birdseed in the summer. I read somewhere that the eggs are already in the seeds (or our flour/cereal type foods) and that freezing the product for 24 hours kills the eggs and prevents them from hatching.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #29

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I had a bunch of canned food in my old camper. When I sold it I cleaned everything out. A few months later my wife opend a can of chicken noodle soup. It was rancid. Some foods certainly do expire.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #30
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I had a bunch of canned food in my old camper. When I sold it I cleaned everything out. A few months later my wife opend a can of chicken noodle soup. It was rancid. Some foods certainly do expire.
I do believe some foods get rancid. Out of curiosity, was the food in the camper exposed to extreme heat or cold?