Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Expiration dates ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

In my younger days I was given a pantry full of expired canned goods. I had no problem with any of them. I don't know if canning practices were safer 35 years ago than now. I know that canned food had a lot more salt back then. Salt is a preservative.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #12

Liked 6103 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 6908

I eat canned food past the due date. Most were okay. I use canned evaporated milk for baking and cooking and that does get 'icky' after a while.

Once I was cleaning some pantry shelves I have in the basement. There was a can of tomato soup that had an expiration date on it of "Jun 06". I was pretty 'stupid' that day, I guess, and it was October so i thought, "Okay, it's only four months overdue." I took it to work and ate the soup. Then I got to thinking, "Waaaiiit a minute. That's June 2006, not June 6th.!!!! It was October 2010. The soup was 4 years overdue and though it didn't taste as good as a fresh can of soup (it was tomato soup) it really wasn't bad and I didn't get sick. I mostly ignore the expiration dates except for the canned milk, which turns yellow and chunky.

Also, expired boxed baking items, like corn muffin mix or cake mixes, won't rise if they are much beyond expiration date. The baking powder or baking soda or whatever in them gets too old to do it's job.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 10-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #13

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

At the beginning of the year I finished instant coffee that was 20 years old that I had just opened. Vacuum sealed in a glass jar -- you can't even FIND that anymore. As fresh as the day my Mom had squirreled it away in her home...

Old 10-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion

Liked 2695 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 116

We store water in 2 liter bottles for quite awhile, sometimes we drink them even after a couple years, sometimes we use them for target practice, Hasn't made me sick yet...

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #15

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
.........Water never gets old, make sure you boil it, it might taste like chit but its still water......
One reason why boiled water tastes bad is the oxygen has left the water. Shake it around for a while and the taste will improve
Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
We store water in 2 liter bottles for quite awhile, sometimes we drink them even after a couple years, sometimes we use them for target practice, Hasn't made me sick yet...
Why would shooting old bottles of water make you sick!?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion

Liked 2695 Times on 1508 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Why would shooting old bottles of water make you sick!?
Sometimes we drink the water. She was asking if it would go bad.

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
One reason why boiled water tastes bad is the oxygen has left the water. Shake it around for a while and the taste will improve
OK, I've now tried both drinking coffee made from running cold tap water over beans as well as shaking a hot cup of fresh coffee vigorously for a while. Neither seems an improvement on the taste of my old-fashioned drip coffee. In fact, one was little bland whilst the other was a painful mess and what was left tasted about the same as usual to me but was lukewarm...

NOW what am I supposed to do?

PS: I thought my goldfish might appreciate the results from this oxygenated water technique as well. I mean, he is sipping water all the time, right, so I'd prefer it tastes good to him (her?). Plus he doesn't seem very bright so I thought there might be a colatteral benefit. Well, I don't know if he likes the taste any better but he seems dopier than before. Should I have taken him OUT of the bowl first do you think?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 10-28-2012 at 06:00 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #19

Liked 635 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I was just wondering about this today at the supermarket. I looked at a variety of canned items, and all the dates seemed to be around 2 years out. Half of that for boxed items. What about other things? Jerky? Dried beans?

Old 10-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #20

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I was just wondering about this today at the supermarket. I looked at a variety of canned items, and all the dates seemed to be around 2 years out. Half of that for boxed items. What about other things? Jerky? Dried beans?

don't know about jerky, but as long as you keep dry beans dry, they should be good. keep them dry, and in a sealed airtight container, and preferably in a dark cabinet. you can also plant them (even tho they're prolly hybrids )

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me